VOGONS

First post, by nali

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found this old Logitech Wingman gamepad. (Not my picture).
I can't have it detected with any system I use ... Tried several computers / sound cards / OS. The only "sign of life" I get is a led activate when BeOS 5 probe the gameport.
Of course I opened it and checked the cable : all wires are OK.
Now I'm not sure ... Did it come with the obligation to be connected as an extension to the Wingman joystick, or should it work alone like any regular gamepad ?
I can't find any usefull driver for it ...
Thanks.

Logitech-WINGMAN-GAMEPAD-EXTREME-15-Pin-PC-Controller.jpg

Reply 1 of 4, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your device appears to be a WingMan Gamepad Extreme. If so, then it is designed to work in conjunction with Logitech's WingMan Software package. Here is a description of the Version 4.60 WingMan Software (from the Wayback Machine):

https://web.archive.org/web/20051109170022/ht … est_soft_98.htm

Version 4.60 is still available from the Logitech FTP site here:

ftp://ftp.logitech.com/pub/techsupport/joystick/

The first page I listed will help you determine the filename you need to get depending on the language you want, so lgs460enu.exe is the English version for example. As you can see from the first page I listed, the package supports Win98, WinME, Win2K and WinXP.

If your device is a WingMan Gamepad Extreme, then the package should include a gameport-to-USB adapter.

Reply 2 of 4, by nali

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the info !
So it seems my idea was the right one, unfortunately ... I found it in "Value Village" for 3$, so of course it came without the USB adaptor ...
I already tried lgs***.exe, tried another time on a XP PC, still no luck. Maybe this gamepad is not designed to work on a gameport.

Maybe I'll find the schematic and build one USB adaptor, but I doubt it's easy to find 😀

Reply 3 of 4, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am attaching photos of my Logitech Gamepad Extreme label so you can compare part numbers. I am also attaching a photo of the gameport-to-USB adapter. The Logitech gameport-to-USB adapter is Logitech Part No. 501269-0000 (marked on the USB connector).

See this thread for information on how to make your own gameport-to-USB adapter (assuming your device is in fact a Logitech Gamepad Extreme). Make sure to read the thread all the way through because you need to short a couple of pins on the gameport side of the adapter in addition to the cross-connector wiring:

https://descentbb.net/viewtopic.php?t=17786

The thread also mentions that you can use a particular Microsoft SideWinder gameport-to-USB adapter as well since it has identical connections to the Logitech adapter.

I hate to say it, but if the WingMan Software does not work with the gameport connection, then the device is likely defective since the WingMan software should work with both the gameport and USB connections. The label should tell you exactly what the device is, and it may just be a WingMan Gamepad which is strictly analog.

Attachments

• 18092600.JPG
    Filename
    18092600.JPG
    File size
    84.38 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Logitech Gamepad Extreme Label
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 18092601.JPG
    Filename
    18092601.JPG
    File size
    70.94 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Logitech Gamepad Extreme Gameport-to-USB Adapter
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 4, by realoldguy23

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

One last thing you could try. I have Logitech Wingman Extreme (not 3D) joystick. The Logitech software from the FTP side works great but only versions 3.x and below, although version 4.x and 5.x still state in their readme files that they should support my joystick. Maybe you hit the same issue?