VOGONS

First post, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you're anything like me, you've perused Tom's Hardware's old CPU and VGA charts more times than you can remember. Tom's has been around forever, and their earlier articles were top notch. These reviews and benchmarks represent an invaluable and irreplaceable resource for us vintage hardware buffs.

Imagine my dismay, then, when I discovered that many older Tom's Hardware articles have become broken or completely inaccessible. For example, VGA Charts IV is still online, but none of the images show. Same with the epic Mother of All CPU Charts and its sequel. The interactive VGA Charts 2005 still shows up in search results, but the link appears to be dead. To make matters far, far worse, Tom's Hardware is excluded from the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine.

I first noticed these problems a few months ago, and I initially hoped it was a temporary glitch and the content would come back. No such luck. I've started archiving what I can: the images for the older VGA and CPU charts can still be retrieved by digging through the pages' source and tweaking the URLs, but I'm at a loss when it comes to the newer interactive charts. I would post the archived content here, but I imagine that would land VOGONS in hot water, so... PM me, I guess?

Anyway, two questions:

1) Does anyone know if this content is already available in archived form somewhere on the internet?

2) Does anyone with more web savvy know how I might go about retrieving the lost interactive charts?

PCGames9505

Reply 1 of 9, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
maximus wrote:

1) Does anyone know if this content is already available in archived form somewhere on the internet?

Try http://www.archive.org The Internet Archive.
It's my go-to place for old websites. You'd be surprised how much of the "old" web is still accessible there. I remember being able to download drivers there from websites that ceased to exist before 2000.
In fact I like the archive so much that I donate money regularly.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 2 of 9, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Unfortunately Tom's Hardware have long since had anything from tomshardware.com excluded from archive.org although you can still find archive snippets from affiliate sites like tomshardware.co.uk

Reply 3 of 9, by Flashback

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If it helps any, I found these through Google image search. I couldn't find the 2001 chart anymore, but saved it a few months ago. Obviously not as good as having the full articles, but better than nothing. 😀

Dunno if these were ones you archived, but figured I'd post them anyway in case anyone else is interested.

image002.gif
1122405123.gif

Attachments

• thg_3dmark 2001.gif
    Filename
    thg_3dmark 2001.gif
    File size
    55.4 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 9, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's just a pictures freely available on internet. It's not like we are stealing their work and not giving them credit (there's still their logo and everything).

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 7 of 9, by Flashback

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually, many old VGA and CPU articles (including benchmark images) are still available at Tom's Hardware Guide Russia.

Just enter VGA Charts or CPU Comparison/Performance in the search box at the top of the page.

(Note: That's the origin of the first image I posted above.) 😀

Reply 8 of 9, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote:

although you can still find archive snippets from affiliate sites like tomshardware.co.uk

Capital suggestion. I found the interactive charts I was looking for:

Desktop VGA Charts 2005
Desktop VGA Charts 2006
Dual & Quad VGA Charts 2008-Q1

Flashback wrote:

Actually, many old VGA and CPU articles (including benchmark images) are still available at Tom's Hardware Guide Russia.

A bit hard for me to navigate, but looks like a good resource as well. Thanks for the tip.

PCGames9505