VOGONS

First post, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Were there ever NT 4.0 drivers for the LS-120 SuperDisk drives?

I have both a regular floppy and an LS-120 drive connected. For some reason, NT 4.0 turns my regular 3.5" floppy into a 5.25" and gives the SuperDisk a 3.5" B:\ floppy designation, which cannot be accessed. The SuperDisk can be accessed through G:\ as a Removable Disk. This is all kinda messy. Anyway to correct this?

For those who are curious, I ran some boot tests with the LS-120 and compared it to a standard floppy.

The Seatools 2.20 diskette, for example, boots 2.86x faster than the standard floppy. Norton Ghost also booted 2.8x faster using a normal floppy diskette. The only drawback I've witnessed thus far is the clickly clack noisiness of the drive.

EDIT: using a SuperDisk, I measured the transfer speed at 0.31 MB/s.

LS-120_NT4_confussed.jpg
Filename
LS-120_NT4_confussed.jpg
File size
346.99 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by feipoa on 2018-10-25, 23:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 1 of 7, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try here:
http://web.archive.org/web/20060311204629/htt … sk_drivers.html
It looks like the download links work 😀

2 FAQs:
Imation: http://web.archive.org/web/20060311204629/htt … sk_drivers.html
Hival: https://web.archive.org/web/20000622231950/ht … 120/default.htm - entry 17 here directly relates to your problem 😁 Looks like drivers are built in with NT 4.

I remember using it with 98 / 2000 but not so much NT, so I don't have much experience there. Which model of the superdrive do you have?

Reply 2 of 7, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for the links, however, I didn't see my particular problem listed in the FAQ. Seems like the drivers I'm finding are for the parallel port version. SuperDisk drivers should be built into SP5+ Anyone know how to correctly reassign A: to 3.5" and delete B:\ ? I didn't run into this issue with XP.

Reply 3 of 7, by Strahssis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can't you reassign the drive letters in Disk Management for the floppy drives, or does that only work for hard drives in there?

Mimi: AMD K6-2/266, S3 Trio64, Diamond Monster 3D II, Sound Blaster CT2800, 32MB RAM
Satellite 220CS: Pentium 133, SVGA DSTN, Sound Blaster Pro, 64MB RAM
Contura 420CX: 486DX4 75, VGA TFT, Roland Serial MIDI, 16MB RAM

Reply 5 of 7, by Strahssis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
feipoa wrote:

I only saw the option for the hard drives and cd-roms.

That's unfortunate. Do the Master/Slave settings for the disk drives appear correctly in the BIOS?
If not, you should check the cable and the jumper settings on the drives themselves.

Mimi: AMD K6-2/266, S3 Trio64, Diamond Monster 3D II, Sound Blaster CT2800, 32MB RAM
Satellite 220CS: Pentium 133, SVGA DSTN, Sound Blaster Pro, 64MB RAM
Contura 420CX: 486DX4 75, VGA TFT, Roland Serial MIDI, 16MB RAM

Reply 6 of 7, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm going to see what happens if I remove the ordinary floppy drive.

The BIOS sees it as secondary master. There is nothing else connected to the cable. It didn't work when connected as slave to the CD-ROM using an 80-pin cable, so I moved the CD-ROM and used a 40-pin cable.

Reply 7 of 7, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OT Question:
Are there drivers for Windows 10?
I have the problem that the system hangs during booting Windows when I connect it with a PATA/SATA adapter. UEFI detects the drive.
I have no problems while it is connected with a PATA/USB adapter.