VOGONS

First post, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have my Halloween build running Win98se with updates and I.E. 6.0.2600 and Java 2.0

It works okay but I think It could be better.

How can I make this perform best ?

I am running 1ghz Pentium coppermine with 512mb ram.
72,000rmp hard-drive.

I think my current bottle neck is the CPU.

display refresh rate is slow.

I am using an Nvidia Geforce4 it4200 AGP.

Audio is Aureal Vortex-3 AU8830

Network card is 100base-t

Asus CLUS-2 motherboard with Intel Chipset.

Browsing the web is slow and refresh of webpages are slow.

How can improve web cache ?

I have computer setup as a server for best performance.

Should I increase system cache ?
If so to what ?

Reply 1 of 19, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most up to date browser for Windows 98 without KernelEx is Opera 10.63. However Pentium 3 is too slow for today standards, no matter what optimization you will try...
Anyway try this: https://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA

Reply 2 of 19, by Neco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm curious how you can even browse the web outside Microsoft sites with IE6

My WWW always breaks with Internet Explorer once upgraded from the default 4.0 or w/e

I tried out opera last night and it seems passable but yeah you're still missing a lot.

Reply 3 of 19, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Seem to be working. I can even post from it.

Attachments

• Win98-IE60.jpg
    Filename
    Win98-IE60.jpg
    File size
    117.06 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 19, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My personal suggestion is Firefox 2.0.0.20 (without KernelEx) or 3.6.28 with KernelEx. Opera 10.63 is good, too.

I'd drop the possibility of being able to survive with Internet Explorer 6. I've recently tried to use it to download a better browser on one of my old spare laptops, it failed to work for that purpose to the point where I dug out one of my USB flash drives and copied a Firefox installer from it. Barely any website works with IE6 these days, not even Google will work which is ironic because it still works with IE5.

Reply 5 of 19, by Neco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote:

Seem to be working. I can even post from it.

Fair enough my IE 6 can do that too... but then again I can't even get onto google, and other sites. they flat out refuse to connect, looks almost like a resolve error for whatever reason. But I can also connect to my VPS server, so I'm not sure what the deal is. I have SSL enabled and used letsencrypt for the certs, yet other sites just refuse to load so I'm not sure what the common failure point really is.

Reply 6 of 19, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
zyga64 wrote:

Most up to date browser for Windows 98 without KernelEx is Opera 10.63. However Pentium 3 is too slow for today standards, no matter what optimization you will try...
Anyway try this: https://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

Thanks, I applied the tweeks. Hope it helps. I also bumped up my I.E. web cache to 3gb.

Attachments

• IE60.jpg
    Filename
    IE60.jpg
    File size
    124.43 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 8 of 19, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

i don't know. it's like we don't have a sticky thread for this already 🤐

That web page is confusing. So what’s the best web browser for a pentium-3 , 1ghz and Win98se ?

Reply 9 of 19, by Neco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Guessing it might be this

Windows 98\ME ? […]
Show full quote

Windows 98\ME
?

OFFICIAL
Use K-Meleon v1.5.4

UNOFFICIAL
Use K-Meleon v1.7 with KernelEX v4.5.2 (Run in Windows 2000 compatibility mode) (VERIFIED) (May also need Visual C++ 2005 runtime installed)
Use K-Meleon 74 with KernelEX https://retrosystemsrevival.blogspot.com/2018 … 9x-edition.html (UNVERIFIED)

Reply 11 of 19, by jxalex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
KCompRoom2000 wrote:

Barely any website works with IE6 these days, not even Google will work which is ironic because it still works with IE5.

instead of google can man use bing.

And vogons website works too.

(opera 10.63 here).

Current project: DOS ISA soundcard with 24bit/96Khz digital I/O, SB16 compatible switchable.
newly made SB-clone ...with 24bit and AES/EBU... join in development!

Reply 12 of 19, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently did a Win98 install without KernelEX and this was my impression: with Internet Explorer 5 about 85% of the Web is unusable. It took me a long time to even find a working Opera 10.63 download link. Using Opera 10.63, I would estimate 30% of the Web is unusable.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 14 of 19, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
KCompRoom2000 wrote:

Barely any website works with IE6 these days, not even Google will work which is ironic because it still works with IE5.

That's funny. I remember browsing the web in Win95 times using Netscape 2,x just fine, as I did later on with IE 5.1 (?) in Windows 98SE times.
Only IE6 was the exception here, which I skipped in favor of the then-new Firefox.
Looking backwards, people seem to always bash IE6, but never IE5. I'm fine with that, but it really feels strange
that IE5 still has more acceptance than IE6. Weird, isn't it ?

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 15 of 19, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Lots of websites block based on browser ver. They probably cared enough to block IE6 but not <IE6. Removal of old TLS doesn't help either.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 16 of 19, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you don't need images, you could always try Lynx: http://lynx.invisible-island.net/release/

Jo22 wrote:
That's funny. I remember browsing the web in Win95 times using Netscape 2,x just fine, as I did later on with IE 5.1 (?) in Wind […]
Show full quote
KCompRoom2000 wrote:

That's funny. I remember browsing the web in Win95 times using Netscape 2,x just fine, as I did later on with IE 5.1 (?) in Windows 98SE times.
Only IE6 was the exception here, which I skipped in favor of the then-new Firefox.
Looking backwards, people seem to always bash IE6, but never IE5. I'm fine with that, but it really feels strange
that IE5 still has more acceptance than IE6. Weird, isn't it ?

For a while, IE5 was the best browser on Macs running classic Mac OS. It was better than Windows IE5, too. 🤣

Reply 17 of 19, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
yawetaG wrote:

For a while, IE5 was the best browser on Macs running classic Mac OS. It was better than Windows IE5, too. 🤣

i can back up this statement and assure that this was true that Mac had the better IE. It could do transparent PNGs too which I knoe was a big draw for Firefox's "take back the web" adoption viral campaign years later 🤣

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 18 of 19, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:
yawetaG wrote:

i can back up this statement and assure that this was true that Mac had the better IE. It could do transparent PNGs too which I knoe was a big draw for Firefox's "take back the web" adoption viral campaign years later 🤣

I can still browse the web with my Macintosh Performa 575.
Some web sites are still accessible.
Macintosh friendly websites.
Netscape web browser.
Mac OS system-7 with only 8mb. Ram

Attachments

• performa 575.jpg
    Filename
    performa 575.jpg
    File size
    128.77 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 19 of 19, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:
yawetaG wrote:

modern gripe with firefox, it puts a stupid gray background on transparent images. This solves it though https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addo … andalone-image/

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif