VOGONS

First post, by max1024

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello to all!
I was interested in the topic of Pentium Pro processors and multiprocessor systems based on them with CPU numbers from 4 to 12. I’ve been looking for information on the Internet for a long time, but everything was limited to just a couple of projects with ALR 6x6 Revolution, but the search led me to this topic and about a miracle in 2018, I see a photo with three such systems.
file.php?id=55226&t=1
Perhaps there are still owners of such systems, but I have not found the relevant topics.

I'm also interested in the 8-processor monsters Data General AViiON AV 8600 and NCR WorldMark 4300 OctaScale, or even a 12-core Pentium Pro Unisys Aqanta XR/6 and other models.
XR6.jpg
I plan to sort out this issue and write an article about this. Therefore, for starters, I would like to find modern photos of such a servers made in normal quality, both outside and inside. All that can be found in very poor quality.

The second issue is the choice of Operating System. The officially supported OS for 4 processors and above is the Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server. I think many have heard about the problem of memory leakage on the Pentium Pro processor and the early Pentium II
Link1, link 2, link3... etc, because of what the installation of Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition is not possible. I am interested in any of the owners of such Great systems tried to successfully install an OS with a 5.1 kernel starting from Windows XP / Windows Server 2003 EE?
I tried installing Windows Server 2003 SP2 on a DUAL Pentium 2 system, as well as a Pentium Pro, but in the end I only saw one working core. But nothing is impossible, you just need to understand the problem and solve it.
1115.jpg 1116.jpg ACPI.jpg

My articles: overclockers.ru/search/result?searchStr=max1024&sec=articles

Reply 1 of 14, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I dont own a PPro system with more than 4 PPRO CPUs, just Compaq Proliant 5000(r) and 5500(r) with 4 PPros each, but I may can provide info on 6 and 8 CPU PIII Xeon machines like the hp Netserver LT6000r or the Proliant 8000. Linux and Windows 2000 advanced server are the OSs I am running on these beasts. Problem might be these systems use something different from SMP and therefore need a dedicated HAL to run windows OS. Reason for this is; the PPro was disigned to use up to 4 CPUs in a system, but needed some vendor specific logic to overcome this limit. I had the same experience with Compaq Systempro and Proliant 2000, 4000, 4500 not using SMP but Compaq Flex MP needing a dedicated HAL contained in the Compaq support software, due to the fact the 386/486 was never designed for SMP and the Pentium was only designed for up to 2 CPUs in a sytem. The later systems are SMP compliant, so every Windows supporting the number of CPUs will work.
eisapc

Reply 2 of 14, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ever hear of OS/2 Warp Server Advanced SMP? It came out around 1996 (PPro came out in 1995) and was supposed to support more then 4 CPUs.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 3 of 14, by max1024

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Unknown_K wrote:

Ever hear of OS/2 Warp Server Advanced SMP? It came out around 1996 (PPro came out in 1995) and was supposed to support more then 4 CPUs.

OS/2 WSA is good variat, but I want to use modern Windows software, for example Win2000 AadvServcer will not allow you to run WinRaR above version 4.11, you will not even launch version 7 of Java, and so on, the 5.1 WinXP kernel provides the possibilities of using the software several times wider and I would like to use all these features.

eisapc wrote:

The later systems are SMP compliant, so every Windows supporting the number of CPUs will work.

The facts say the opposite: Vin2003 Ent.server, due to the "memory leak problem" even on a 2-processor PPro system, makes only one core accessible.
snaphsot0001.jpg
I am currently working on a project to eliminate these limitations, from experience I can tell if it comes to software, there are no unsolvable problems.
I am more interested in the experience and attempts of real owners of such machines as ALR 6x6 Revo, really no one had an idea to put on such machines a sufficiently modern OS with support for DX9, USB2.0, high-speed SSD, and so on?, six, eight and more cores frequency of 200 MHz can satisfy many requests. Yes, Linux will be somewhere faster, but in this case the main idea is to use the news of winsoftware.

Reply 6 of 14, by Scraphoarder

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So Windows 2003 Enterprise doesnt support multiple Ppro CPUs? Think we had 2003 Standard on some Compaq Proliant 2500 with dual Pros, but i could remember wrong.

Reply 7 of 14, by max1024

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Scraphoarder
Windows Server 2003 Enterprise edition fully support multiple CPU, but but this does not apply to the Pentium Pro.

Reply 8 of 14, by Scraphoarder

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
max1024 wrote:

Scraphoarder
Windows Server 2003 Enterprise edition fully support multiple CPU, but but this does not apply to the Pentium Pro.

I read that article just after i posted. Probably we didnt upgrade to 2003 on our servers with Pentium Pro at work. Dual P3 Tualatins and netburst Xeons were common then 2003 came along.

Reply 9 of 14, by max1024

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For complete happiness, it remains for me to find six PIIOD-333 and run Server 2008 on them 😁

Reply 10 of 14, by Mr. horse

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I never had a working Ppro system, but I have owned quite a few multi cpu systems.
2k advance server or Datacenter server makes the most since here. That or something like red-hat 9.

No sir I don't like it!

Reply 12 of 14, by max1024

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Continue with 6x Intel Pentium II Overdrive 333 Mhz
Original variant + interactive graphics.
English version.

Reply 13 of 14, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Impressively cool!
Have you ever tried running BeOS on that thing?

Edit:the 450GX chipset is supported according to the Intel compatibility list.
Someone did try it, found this screenshot in the ALR 6x6 Resources Archive on vogonsdrivers:

BeOS_screenshot.jpg
Filename
BeOS_screenshot.jpg
File size
98.82 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 14 of 14, by max1024

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have so far used only Microsoft operating systems, and when I reassemble my server (as long as there is a problem with the chassis for it) I will try to install BeOS. Thanks for the idea =)