VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have come into possession of three spare AT PSUs but AT cases are very hard to come by.. So I'm considering using some AT motherboards (Baby AT) in ATX cases. There are two issues here, one is the lack of a proper I/O Shield but I can use cardboard, cut out an AT Keyboard plug hole than spray paint it metallic chrome; done.

The second is the more tricky part, and I wanted to hear (and if possible see) your solutions to it: I'm really not keen on cutting a good ATX case for this mod, so this thing Phil did with his 386 build is what I had in mind:

AT Switch.png
Filename
AT Switch.png
File size
917.63 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Has anyone come up with a more elegant way of doing this? Show off your mods here and inspire me 😎

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 8, by Aragorn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

you can buy blank IO shields on ebay for only a few pounds, and then you just need to cut a keyboard hole in it in the correct place 😀

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2PCS-I-O-shield-no … 5.c100005.m1851

As for the power and turbo switches, couldnt you replace the original power microswitch with a latching switch? Or some sort of relay arrangement where the ATX switch triggers a relay which turns on the supply.

For turbo, careful enlargement of a standard hole in the rear of the chassis for a toggle switch would work.

Reply 3 of 8, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I snatched a 3.5 to 5.25 inch drive bay on ebay with a cutout for USB. I removed the USB ports and will dremel away some bits and pieces and then a standard rocker switch will fit in there. This will be my power button. Also it fits my GoTek nicely, which will soon be modded with an OLED display... 😀

I did not connect the Turbo button. Did not have need for it yet. Reset and HDD LED are connected, though.

9AD47076-EB1F-4B6D-A23F-7004D02DEC05.jpeg
Filename
9AD47076-EB1F-4B6D-A23F-7004D02DEC05.jpeg
File size
980.94 KiB
Views
File license

Edit: I also bought a few blank ATX IO shields and use a big sink head on a stationary drill to slowly drill a hole for the DIN keyboard socket. Worked like a charm. I can order more and make more, but it won't be cheap. I think they are 8 EUR from mindfactory, and it takes me a bit of time, plus shipping...

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 4 of 8, by Revolter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, I went the same route of using the ATX power button for a turbo switch (just replace the momentary switch with a self-locking one inside the button and you're done) and turning the PC on and off with the PSU power switch on the rear. There is also this thing if your model doesn't include the switch:

Power.jpg
Filename
Power.jpg
File size
36.41 KiB
Views
File license

BTW, mine is not a turbo switch per se (since on my 430VX board it is enabled via a hotkey), but rather a FSB+Multiplier combo: 2 wires for shorting the FSB modifier pins (only 1 state is required to choose between 50 and 66, since with no pins shorted the board just defaults to 66 Mhz) and 3 wires toggle between 1.5 and 2 multiplier on the pin grid behind the CPU heatsink. It does make a difference in some games.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    Filename
    2.jpg
    File size
    1.16 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • 1.jpg
    Filename
    1.jpg
    File size
    421.04 KiB
    Views
    File license

Celeron 800, 512MB, GeForce2 MX, ES1938S/DB S2, Windows ME/DOS 6.22

Reply 5 of 8, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Trying to use an AT PSU in an ATX case could be tricky because many of them only have small power switches so there's no room to replace them with the larger version you'd need. If it were me I'd either sell the AT PSUs or keep them until an AT case comes along, and use an ATX supply in the ATX case. If you want to run an AT motherboard, I've had good success with an ATX PSU to AT motherboard adapter and a latching version of whatever power switch is in the ATX case. If it's a chunky one it's likely to be one like this, or if it's a small one, chances are it'll be more like this 8mm one.

Your BIOS probably has hotkeys for the turbo button. Alt + Ctrl + Keypad plus/minus were common. Otherwise there are many different types of buttons you can get on eBay. Perhaps a nice orange square illuminated one would do nicely for a turbo button? If you don't want to modify the case you could drill the hole for it onto one of the drive bay covers since you'll no doubt have spares of those after installing a floppy or CD drive.

Reply 6 of 8, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I installed an IBM 5160 XT motherboard in an early 2000s ATX tower case. It's using an ATX PSU with an adapter and I replaced the front power button with a spare I had from an old wrecked AT desktop case, so it switches on and off from the front normally. No Turbo switch on this obviously.

Note: These pictures are a little out of date, they were taken whilst I was still set up with a VGA card. I've since replaced the VGA card with a CGA card, so that isn't pictured here.

Case before it was cleaned:
DELXDkpl.jpg

The Power Button change, original on the left donor on the right.
voAqQfgl.jpg

Case after cleaning:
1xcmh6Ml.jpg

Inside:
B2ZB04Ul.jpg
ZXrA9b0l.jpg
Wn7rtWHl.jpg

Temporary I/O shield bodge, with a piece of blue card:
o7WQmJjl.jpg

Literally the only issue I have with this setup, which isn't really an issue as such - the Reset button on the front of the case is redundant and the Power LED is not connected to anything either.

Reply 8 of 8, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here's an old link to my solution involving replacing the momentary switches with latching ones:
Re: Wading slowly into the 486 waters
Basically, the power switch continues to turn the system off and on, the reset switch becomes the turbo switch.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks