VOGONS

First post, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought recently on ebay and just got around to testing it on my 286/12. Hooked to a IBM 5153 monitor, system seems to post but gives an "out of sync" picture. There is a block of 4 jumpers called J2 and I wonder if they're incorrectly setup hence the sync problem. I've googled the model number and only found a few other pictures of the same card most notably from ads, but I can't seem to find any info about it. I'd rather have the correct settings instead of trying all combinations and risking damaging the monitor in the process. Any guesses?

5GmN3f4l.jpg?1

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 1 of 7, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Check this page for anything that looks even remotely similar:

https://th99.bl4ckb0x.de/v/v8ISA_1.htm

Jumpers and chips might be in different locations but if you look for similar sets of jumpers with the same amount of pins, it may work. Start by looking for cards that size, possibly with the memory in the lower left corner. Also, if your can find any identifiers on the main video chip, it may help. Take the sticker off if necessary. Searching the page for CGA may narrow it down too.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 2 of 7, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have one of these, and would also like to know more about it. This is from my notes:

This does not have composite RCA output. J1 toggles printer. What do jumpers J2, J3 (white) and J4 (pins removed) do? There are two Mitsubishi M5M4416P-12 8 KiB DIP-18 DRAM chips soldered to the board, providing a total of 16 KiB RAM, standard for CGA. Searching reveals that a very similar card (probably Revision A) has FCC ID FHQ484AX-X1017, which is reported to be have been produced by Yangtech Electric Co. of Taiwan in 1986. Other internet references say this card was manufactured by Magitronic also of Taiwan. (These may be the same company.) See also the YouTube video La Alcoba del CGA - Capítulo 7 - La Tarjeta CGA - ¿Cómo se vería en un ordenador moderno?

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 3 of 7, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the info - I browsed th99 yesterday but couldn't find any match unfortunately.

OTOH I've managed to get the card working earlier today - I looked at the settings from the other two cards I found online and put the jumpers in the same exact position on mine. I still wish I could find info about what these jumpers do, but in the meantime it looks like it's the correct setting for CGA display.

8bit_Videocard_CGA-III-P_2.jpg

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 4 of 7, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe a Herc MGA compat mode? That would potentially deliver a higher sync your monitor was complaining about.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 5 of 7, by migry

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Found this thread while trying to find out about my own old CGA card.

VDL CGA ISA card - reduced.JPG
Filename
VDL CGA ISA card - reduced.JPG
File size
520.5 KiB
Views
File comment
My "UDL" CGA card
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reason for wanting to find out more is that I have just bought a faulty 8088 motherboard from an Ebay seller (UK). GIven my recent interest in this old uP I thought that it would be interesting to try to repair.

I saw a YouTube video in which the maker explained that a VGA card would not work in his homebrew 8088 PC board, since the BIOS used non 8088 opcodes. I do have a VGA card, but if I try to use the old CGA card in theory it should be compatiable. Problem is I don't have a suitable monitor 😀 .

Anyway I started to search for information about this particular card. I found a number of pictures of nearly identical cards. The layout of the ICs is identical, the positions of the jumpers are identical, but there are subtle differences in the PCB layout. I'll post these other pictures in a followup posting. I searched around for datasheets on the non TTL ICs, but hit a dead end with the 100pin QFP, but finally got a break on the UM2300.

Since then I have reversed engineered the board and I am in the process of completing the schematic in KiCad.

The main IC has no device identification, just the label VDL or more likely UDL. I did find some pages which listed UDL as a company, but I cannot find anything more out about them. There is also a VGA chip from the same company.

I did confuse them initially with UMC (Unicorn Microelectronics). This lead me to searching for a UMC datasheet. I didn't find it, but I found one thaty was remarkably similar, and I was able to find a PDF with pinout and example circuit. The UMC part is a UM487 "HCGA Controller". At first I thought this was the same chip as it reads "The UM487 single-chip HCGA controller is an advanced product designed to serve as a combination MGA and CGA through the integration of most of the circuits found on MGA and CGA cards. Built with the 2um CMOS process, the UM487 incorporates a built-in 6845 CRTC circuit. Thus, for MGA and CGA functions, only a few external components are required to complete the circuits. These include: 64K bytes DRAM; 4 TTLs (74LS374, 74LS245, 74LS04 and 74LS20); one character generator (UM2310) and a 16.257MHx crystal. The UM487 comes packaged in a compact, 100-pin plastic flat pack". Wow! That description almost fits this card exactly, but as I viewed the example circuits I noted a number of differences. I also noted that the pinout didn't look right. Nevertheless I now believe that the UDL chip is very similar to this device.

I also searched for the UM2300 IC. This is a UMC part, which is why I at first thought that the UDL part was also a UMC part. I had no success finding a datasheet, but I did find the UM2303 which is a character set ROM containing character sets for both MGA and CGA. This device is however 28 pin, whereas the UM2300 is 24 pin. Eventually I had a break and found the SIS 23C00. Bingo! This is obviously the same part as the UM2300 and is called a "CGA Character Generator". This seems to imply that this card is CGA only (and does not support MGA). I have attached the PDF summary.

Some other similar cards have a DIP switch. I eventually figured out that the bank of nine 47k resistors are used for configuration and connect to an 8 bit databus and "pin 3". Five of these resistors come from the J5 jumper block. On my card J5-1 and J5-2 are tied to VCC by a wire link, the remaining three have jumpers for selection. Likewise J4 (which my card says is to Enable/Disable the Printer) also connects to one of these resistors.

I noted that the board has an extra set of pads right next to the UM2300 to take a larger 28 pin device. I have confirmed the connections and this footprint is for the UM2303 CGA/MGA character ROM. I also then realised that "pin 3" connects to the pin labelled "C/M" on this bigger ROM, which I assume selects the Colour or Mono character set. So perhaps the UDL chip can do MGA too, but is configured on my card to be CGA only. Perhaps the 47k resistor on "pin 3" selects either CGA only or CGA/MGA mode? Obviously you would need to unsolder the UM2300 and solder a socket for a new character ROM. The UM2303 is 2764 pin compatible, so this is certainly do-able.

Attachments

Reply 6 of 7, by migry

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The bank of resistors between the UDL chip and the jumpers are for creating a video signal from the CGA video outputs (R,G,B,Intensity, Hsync and Vsync). The 3 non 47k resistors in the other bank are also part of the video circuit.

TR2 is configured as an emitter follower to drive video out on the 2 pin connector CN2. There are two different bankings of resistors and these are selected by jumper J1 where the middle pin goes to the base of TR2. I have no idea if wanting to use this video interface you have to change some other settings (the 9 config resistors as described in the previous posting), or whether it is just a cheap and nasty video combiner. Being in the UK I don't have any video monitor capable of displaying 60Hz composite video. I'll try to scope out the signal on CN2 once I have the card working (once the 8088 motherboard is repaired).

EDIT: I now think that the two options are for composite Mono video and the other for composite Colour video.

Last edited by migry on 2022-03-13, 22:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 7, by migry

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This card has almost identical layout to mine, however doesn't have the extremely useful set of probe points just above the ISA fingers, even though the layout has the exact layout space to put them there! The light pen connector is populated. The character set ROM has been replaced with a socketed EPROM (perhaps this was a user modification?).

CGA Card 2.JPG
Filename
CGA Card 2.JPG
File size
437.03 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

This card is interesting because it has the 23C03 MGA/CGA character set ROM. The layout is still very similar to my card, and has the ISA connector probe points. It differs more at the very top where there is set of 8 DIP switches.

CGA Card 4.jpg
Filename
CGA Card 4.jpg
File size
224.16 KiB
Views
File license

This card is made by "EXPERT" and the printer port and support IC is not populated.

CGA Card 6.JPG
Filename
CGA Card 6.JPG
File size
174.55 KiB
Views
File license