VOGONS

First post, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know that everyone loves the new Roland SC-VA, but not everyone wants to spend $125 for SC-VA, especially if you already own VSC-MP1.

The latest version of the old Sound Canvas VSC VST 1.6 has the SC-88Pro samples embedded. The previous releases allowed you to choose which sample set to use, but not the last version.

Here is how to use the SC-55 samples instead, which is more authentic for GM MS-DOS games. I used the latest 1.6 VSC.dll patched with tikalat's sysex patch. You also need the file vsc55.dat that is installed with the Roland VSC synth at C:\Program Files\Roland\VSC32.

With a hex editor, open VSC.dll and zero-out offset CA0A8-492324. Then, at offset CA0A8, paste in the contents of vsc55.dat and save the file.

EDIT: It turns out the sample sets use the same base instruments. Therefore, this change is useless.

The only way to fix the VSC-MP1 is to edit/recompile the DLL with the proper information, which should also include getting the banks properly installed, so they can be switched to, with the appropriate commands.

Please refer to this thread for research on VSC About Roland Virtual Sound Canvas 3

Last edited by Stretch on 2022-02-20, 16:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Win 11 - Intel i7-1360p - 32 GB - Intel Iris Xe - Sound BlasterX G5

Reply 1 of 1, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That seems like a useful mod. I did as you suggested and it works fine so far. Thanks!

Roland SC-VA somehow gets audio lag on my portable E-350 nettop, after running for a while, so it is good to have an alternative.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul