Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hiya!

I have this really old 386 16mhz motherboard that I would like to test:

XwUxVdbl.jpg

and this is as far as the boot process goes:

T7YxX6Fl.jpg

I have no idea how to enter the BIOS setup. I tried the keyboard combos I could google but they do not work.
ALT+CTRL+DEL does reset the board so the keyboard is not locked...

Any ideas? 😕
Thanks! 😎

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 1 of 19, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I hope it has not a floppy driven BIOS setup like older 286s and oldest 386s.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 2 of 19, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I will connect a floppy and see if the board tries to read from it

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 19, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote:

Any ideas? 😕

Hi Keropi, there's one thing that comes to mind - try provoking a keyboard error.
On my 286 with a Schneider-BIOS (Phoenix based), pressing ESC during power-on causes a sticky key error.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 19, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My Commodore 386SX-16 had a Phoenix BIOS, and you could enter its setup by pressing CTRL-ALT-S, if I recall correctly.
This site lists some other options:
https://www.lifewire.com/bios-setup-utility-a … cturers-2624461

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 5 of 19, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

just by connecting a floppy I got this screen, I could now press F1 and the board booted . Ofcourse like you people said I most likely need that setup program - no idea where to get it though.

PKvcczQl.jpg

at least I loaded DOS 😁

Reply 6 of 19, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try CTRL+ALT+INSERT
I had to do that with 386SX-16 system with Phoenix BIOS

To enter the CMOS Setup, press CTRL+ALT+INSERT simultaneously. This will display the
system configuration setup menu. Ensure the configuration is as indicated below. Follow
the instructions on the monitor to change any of the entries.

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 7 of 19, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

Ofcourse like you people said I most likely need that setup program - no idea where to get it though.

You can always use Gsetup for basic functionality (probably enough for this board anyway...)

Reply 9 of 19, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ I have tried all combos in the page Scali listed - including CTRL+ALT+INSERT (does not work, prints some messages about keyboard stuck keys and lines and waits for F1)
I will go the gsetup way and check it out, never used it before 😁

Reply 10 of 19, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you tried it a few times, like during or after the mem check? Mine didn't work every single time too :p
Like you need to do it at a specific moment.

Reply 12 of 19, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@Murugan
yes, pressing any key combo on boot produces a kb error

@quicknick
mega-thanks for that! SETUP and ATSETUP worked for me and the board now boots without issues 😀
really slow system though 🤣

Reply 14 of 19, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yes, I am not surprised this mobo is really old. and slow.

Reply 15 of 19, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

TBH I never really tried both of my (identical) systems.
Or just tried Dune for 5 seconds on 1 of them :p Seemed to go pretty well.

These were used as medical equipment for bloodgas analysers.

Reply 16 of 19, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I did a quick sysinfo benchmark, the board scored 9.08 while the example 386DX/33 system is at ~37 or something ... needless to say this old board has no cache at all 🤣
also these sipp modules are weird - each is 128kbytes? I did not check specs but if you put in the bios more than 1mb of ram you get errors.

Reply 17 of 19, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Glad to be of help. That's a low score indeed. Maybe it's working in the non-turbo mode, 8MHz instead of 16? (There are two oscillators near the CPU, 16 and 32MHz).
Also, 128KB for a module is extra-weird, can you find the datasheet of chips on the module and do a quick math on their size? I don't even know if it's possible, but maybe it's accessing the RAM at 16-bits only, thus only seeing half the capacity?

Reply 18 of 19, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I will look at the ram specs tomorrow since I left the office...
about speed I think that's the 16mhz score, both cachechk and speedsys report a 15.8mhz 386

Reply 19 of 19, by tonata

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes. I confirm that multiple clicks of CTRL-ALT-S allowed me to enter Commdore BIOS 1.03 on my 386 SX 16 Mhz.

I also did enable the shadow BIOS (both BIOS and Video ROM) and Paint in Win 3.1 is much faster now.