VOGONS

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have an ISA controller card and the IDE and floppy are working but I cant get COM1 or COM2 for a serial mouse to work, it has a Winbond chip on it and "UN1072 011070" printed on it and below that is "FCC ID:ID2-W83757S" below is a pic of what I have:

20190216_011411_zpsywxfmgq3.jpg

To the left of the Winbond chip is a bank of 4 jumpers I have tried to change these from pictures off the net that I found but changing any of these 4 either stops the slave IDE from working or the master IDE from working so from testing it cant be these 4 but I guess I could be wrong. Can someone help me to find a manual or jumper settings layout please, I tried another controller card and it works but it is lacking COM ports and my mouse works just fine too.

Reply 1 of 9, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a pretty much identical card, a different brand (a Kouwell KW-556N) but they are probably just the same card rebranded.
Anyway, here's the link to the Stason page.
https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/hard-disk-floppy … Interfa-41.html

"And remember, this fix is only temporary, unless it works." -Red Green

Reply 2 of 9, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks again dkarguth your link is the same as the one I found from another post here on Vogons:
http://www.rainbow-software.org/manuals/pti-227b.html I have tried every combination using Com1/2/3/4 and IRQ's but it seems I have a faulty card, no matter what I get the error "mouse/device not found" 🙁

Reply 3 of 9, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have you made sure you're using the correct serial port bracket? There are 2 different pinouts.

"And remember, this fix is only temporary, unless it works." -Red Green

Reply 4 of 9, by 486guy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dkarguth wrote on 2019-02-16, 01:07:

Have you made sure you're using the correct serial port bracket? There are 2 different pinouts.

I know this is an old post but I’m having a similar issue with the same i/o controller card. Do you any any serial cable bracket that works with this type of controller card. The usual cable doesn’t seem to work because of the serial headers on the card are different than the most common. I’ve seen a lot of this IO controller cards with the usual serial cable but I doubt if they work with a serial mouse.

Reply 6 of 9, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As already mentioned in the thread, there are two kinds of serial port brackets. The ground pin on the DE-9 connector is pin 5. Check continuity between pin 5 on the DE-9 connector and ground on the card. If there is no continuity, you got the wrong kind of bracket.

Reply 8 of 9, by Zerthimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Such mi/o cards always have default setting of jumpers that enable all ports at their default addresses. It's usually not needed to change any jumpers, unless you have specific need to change address or disable a port (to avoid conflicts, etc).
So reset all jumpers to their defaults (pins 1-2, usualy) and then check if mouse works. If it doesn't, then next thing is to check connectivity between the pin header and the breakout connector.

Reply 9 of 9, by ggalvan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is the original pinout of DE9 connector:

20230902_144551.jpg
Filename
20230902_144551.jpg
File size
642.86 KiB
Views
File license