VOGONS

First post, by GhostyGhost

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,

Recently been trying out some games on my newly rebuilt Windows 98SE PC but been having some issues with certain games.

One of them being Nocturne 1999. A good ol favorite of mine.

Problem is, it keeps giving me a "bright" but black screen when I start up the game and promptly freezes the PC.

I applied the Nocturne Patch 2 and still nothing afterwards.

This is very similar to my previous thread regarding Frogger 1997 but more different as that game had a loading screen before forcibly restarting my PC.

Here are my specs on the Windows 98SE PC.

RAM: 512MB
GPU: Modded Voodoo 5 5500 (Voodoo 5 6000 VSA-100 chips at 128MB)
CPU: Pentium III 1GHz coppermine

Thank you.

EDIT: I solved the DirectX/Direct3D problem. The system was constantly attempting to use SLI mode on the Voodoo 5 5500 and that has problems in Direct3D. So after a few software installations such as a more updated 3DFX tools, I set the Direct3D mode to Single Chip Mode and that solved my problem.

So my big mistake was not noticing that SLI mode was enabled. What a annoying mistake to assume it was off from the beginning. Well anyway I hope that this EDIT clarifies what the issue was for DirectX/Direct3D. But now I will have to find out what's causing the 3dfx glide to not work properly as Diablo 2 confirmed Direct3D is now fixed but now glide has been another issue causing this issue. More to come soon.

EDIT FINAL: The problem has been solved. It was a hardware problem with Voodoo 5 5500. It is now fixed and all is well now.

Last edited by GhostyGhost on 2019-09-06, 14:17. Edited 8 times in total.

If life throws a wrench into your plans, then show life that no matter what it does to you, you will always prevail.

Reply 1 of 3, by GhostyGhost

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have made a discovery.

Out of all the games I tested, only the 2D games worked flawlessly. Games such as, Starcraft, Diablo 1, and Fallout 2.

The "3D" games are the issue. Like Frogger 1997, Nocturne 1999 and Diablo 2.

Therefore I have come to the conclusion that the Direct3D is the problem due to Diablo 2 freezing upon doing the Direct3D test and thus clarified the issue.

I attempted to install DirectX9.0c and it succeeded but still no change. I tried the Beta Voodoo 5 5500 drivers and no luck either.

Anyone know a possible solution to this issue?
Thank you.

If life throws a wrench into your plans, then show life that no matter what it does to you, you will always prevail.

Reply 2 of 3, by GhostyGhost

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So it appears I may have a corrupted DirectX9.0c when I installed and reinstalling did nothing to fix the issue. Though this has been happening with previous versions of it.

This was the last DirectX9.0c released for Windows 98SE and now it appears I am at a dead end here and either have to wipe the system and do a clean install, no worries it has nothing of data value on it, or find a way to remove DirectX9.0c if System Restore is available for it.

No Direct X worked for me so far. Not even my Voodoo 5 5500 official CD did. I really need to get to the bottom of this somehow.

Thank you.

Edit: I decided to go with a clean install as System restore did remove DirectX9.0c the system froze quite a lot afterwards even after reinstalling the graphic drivers.

Last edited by GhostyGhost on 2019-03-04, 22:35. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 3, by GhostyGhost

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After starting off with only basic stuff again, I tested various DirectXs, 6.1, 7.0a, 8.1 and 9.0c. and all of them do the same thing.

For 32bit color at a resolution of 1024x768, all freeze upon using the Direct3D test, though DirectDraw works flawlessly so long as you stay at 1024x768 resolution. Any lower and it freezes the system.

I've tried higher resolutions but this one is they only stable resolution.

I've ruled out a hardware issue as it was before playing 3D games flawlessly. Now is solve what's causing the Direct3D issue. All the DirectXs I've used were from official CDs so no sign of corrupt files.

Seriously, what could be causing this issue with a newly installed OS?