VOGONS

First post, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

An interesting problem for me crept up last week.
For some odd reason, on my C3 Ezra even slowed down to 386 speeds, I just can't get Wing Commander II to sound right on my MT-32. I tried the old and new models with no difference, and no errors when processing SysEx messages.
Basically, when playing sound effects in the game through the MT-32, the wrong instruments get played (especially noticeable in the intro), but the music is absolutely fine. The SoundBlaster sound effects are also unaffected.

If I use my sound card with SoftMPU, everything is perfect, with or without Delayed SysEx.

What is interesting here is I accidentally forgot to replace the HardMPU card with my bench soundcard in one of my tests and still loaded SoftMPU on 330h successfully.
Guess what, Wing Commander II sounded perfect.
In short, for this game, I can just load SoftMPU on top of HardMPU and all is well (with the soundcard MPU disabled). And it works !!

Anyone see this before? Or even attempt this?

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3

Reply 1 of 4, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Has nobody seen issues with HardMPU and some games?

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB

Reply 2 of 4, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wasn't there some firmware update that solved some issues with monkey island? Or something like that don't really know tbh
Maybe you can update and it will get fixed?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 4, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:

Wasn't there some firmware update that solved some issues with monkey island? Or something like that don't really know tbh
Maybe you can update and it will get fixed?

Interesting. I didn't even know that HardMPU had different firmware versions. Seemed to me like it was created, firmware and tools coded and hardware built and everyone was happy... except me. 😵

Reply 4 of 4, by suntac

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tpowell.ca wrote:

Has nobody seen issues with HardMPU and some games?

My HardMPU is unstable in faster systems where other intelligent MPU-401 cards work just fine. I did not investigate that further.