VOGONS

First post, by Megantonneke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am working on a Tulip Vision Line de 5/133 machine, to make a nice retro gaming machine.
It had, however no soundcard. I came across this still abundant and cheap OEM ISA PnP soundcard from HP systems: The Multimedia Pro 16V-A, based on the Aztec 2320 chipset.
See also this youtube from Philscomputerlab describing the card: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glhRhgkVwjU

The setup under Win95 seems quite straightforward but I wanted it also to work on DOS 6.22/Win 3.11.
The drivers that Phil put on his website is only the Plug and Play manager AZTPNP which only part of the solution.

The Aztec driver collection here on Vogons also does not contain drivers for the AZT2320 under DOS/Win3.11.
However, the AZTPNP - Aztec Plug and Play manager I found in the folder of the Aztec WaveRider pro 32 3D, Identical to Phils driver is part of the solution.

So I was still searching for possible dos/win3.11 drivers for the MMP16VA and found out that they were part of the HP Vectra VL6 series PCs.
With some further digging, I came across an HP driver archive which showed "HP Vectra VL 6/xxx Series 6, Sound driver for Windows 3.11".
The vendor was "unknown", but from the AZT extension of some of the files it was clearly coming from Aztec.

And I can say this driver works for me! Windows 3.11 is required for running first the AZTPNP setup and the MMP16VA driver second. The card is
detected correctly and works for me in pure DOS 6.22. I successfully tested so far "Centurion Defender of Rome" in adlib mode and "Lucas-arts The Dig",
the strategy game "Ascendancy" detects the card correctly but gives no sound. Further testing ongoing.

I have put the contents of Win3.11 driver disk I found on my Google drive for your convenience:

Reply 1 of 3, by Megantonneke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It seems that my system has some casual PnP detection problems, which may have caused that the AZTPNP install alone did not work for me initially. But still nice to have the original driver installation specific for this card.

Reply 2 of 3, by CachoAlpuy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Megantonneke wrote on 2019-03-07, 11:23:
I am working on a Tulip Vision Line de 5/133 machine, to make a nice retro gaming machine. It had, however no soundcard. I came […]
Show full quote

I am working on a Tulip Vision Line de 5/133 machine, to make a nice retro gaming machine.
It had, however no soundcard. I came across this still abundant and cheap OEM ISA PnP soundcard from HP systems: The Multimedia Pro 16V-A, based on the Aztec 2320 chipset.
See also this youtube from Philscomputerlab describing the card: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glhRhgkVwjU

The setup under Win95 seems quite straightforward but I wanted it also to work on DOS 6.22/Win 3.11.
The drivers that Phil put on his website is only the Plug and Play manager AZTPNP which only part of the solution.

The Aztec driver collection here on Vogons also does not contain drivers for the AZT2320 under DOS/Win3.11.
However, the AZTPNP - Aztec Plug and Play manager I found in the folder of the Aztec WaveRider pro 32 3D, Identical to Phils driver is part of the solution.

So I was still searching for possible dos/win3.11 drivers for the MMP16VA and found out that they were part of the HP Vectra VL6 series PCs.
With some further digging, I came across an HP driver archive which showed "HP Vectra VL 6/xxx Series 6, Sound driver for Windows 3.11".
The vendor was "unknown", but from the AZT extension of some of the files it was clearly coming from Aztec.

And I can say this driver works for me! Windows 3.11 is required for running first the AZTPNP setup and the MMP16VA driver second. The card is
detected correctly and works for me in pure DOS 6.22. I successfully tested so far "Centurion Defender of Rome" in adlib mode and "Lucas-arts The Dig",
the strategy game "Ascendancy" detects the card correctly but gives no sound. Further testing ongoing.

I have put the contents of Win3.11 driver disk I found on my Google drive for your convenience:

Thanks for the info, i will try it in my windows 3.11 install.

Reply 3 of 3, by zapedge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Quick Workaround for any Soundcard:

Initailize via UNISOUND by JazeFox in DOS
Under Windows 3.11 install a SoundBlaster Pro/16 with http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=515&menustate=0