VOGONS

First post, by DosWorld

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

Could anybody discribe what the difference between XT and AT keyboards?
Yes, I cant attach AT keyboard to XT (and vice verse). Also, I am see - some people do projects with XTAX converter.
Also, (if my memory is good) we have keyboard with XT/AT switch, at old time.
I want to try understand what the differences (and may be make own diy project for this type of converter, will be great - use usb-keyboard at input side).

Thanks!

CPU: Amd K6/450, RAM: 256M, VIDEO: S3Trio V+, SOUND: EWS64XXL/64M
CPU: iP/100, RAM: 16M, VIDEO: S3Trio V+, SOUND: SB AWE32
IBM Aptiva, CPU i486DX/80, RAM: 96M
Compaq Contura 4/25 2820D, CPU: i486SX/25, RAM: 4M, VGA.
HP 200LX/2M

Reply 1 of 5, by looking4awayout

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not a keyboard expert but I know that XT and AT keyboards have different scancodes and protocols. While an AT keyboard might work on an XT system (if it has an XT/AT switch or if it's autosensing), it's also true that not many XT keyboards, if not any, will work on AT systems unless the said systems support the XT scancode. AT motherboards that support XT keyboards in their keyboard controller are rare but they do exist and they were available during the 286 and 386 era. I kinda wish there was a cheap ready-made adapter that would convert an XT keyboard scancode in order to be used on an AT system. There's one made by Hagstrom Electronics that does exactly that, but unfortunately it's very expensive. Using an XT Model F or a decently made clone on my RDD is a pipedream of mine.

My Retro Daily Driver: Pentium !!!-S 1.7GHz | 3GB PC166 ECC SDRAM | Geforce 6800 Ultra 256MB | 128GB Lite-On SSD + 500GB WD Blue SSD | ESS Allegro PCI | Windows XP Professional SP3

Reply 2 of 5, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The XT has an 8255 on the motherboard which handles keyboard, dipswitches, and the cassette port (kind of like MSX...). On ATs that chip is gone and the keyboard is handled by a microcontroller instead.

https://wiki.osdev.org/PS/2_Keyboard

OSDEV doesn't seem to have an article about XT keyboard, maybe this will help https://hackaday.com/2017/01/21/attoxtkeyboard/

Reply 3 of 5, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also, communication with XT keyboards was one-way only, so no lock LEDs on the keyboard itself. AT was bidirectional, so you can have LEDs indicating stuff.

Note that by the time the AT standard came along, basically almost everyone stuck to it, but that that wasn't the case in the PC/XT era, so any given XT clone might do things a little differently.

Reply 4 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The XT protocol was simpler, but in some ways more elegant also.
I don't know how to explain it properly, but in simple words, the XT keyboard simply sent scan codes to the PC.
The AT keyboard required a lock/un-lock mechanism for each keypress..

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 5, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote:

The XT protocol was simpler, but in some ways more elegant also.
I don't know how to explain it properly, but in simple words, the XT keyboard simply sent scan codes to the PC.
The AT keyboard required a lock/un-lock mechanism for each keypress..

Lock/unlock - do you mean key-down / key-up?

If the XT keyboard does not have it - how does it differentiate between a single tap versus a key held down?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys