VOGONS

First post, by Cga.8086

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys, i have a voodoo rush that i have kept in my house of a long time.

yesterday i tested it and the first thing i noticed when i turned the computer ON, was that the first boot screen where it was supposed to say the card model, just gave me garbage on the screen. But it is completely random as when i booted the pc many times.. it gave the correct letters without issue.

Then i noticed that on 50% of the times that i did a reset, the windows98 boot screen had glitches too, horizontal lines (like an old VHS movie) while the logo appeared on the screen.
then noticed some glitches while using windows98, i remember that in one ocasion i clicked the start button it showed me a black square on the screen.

so i thought it must had been the memory chips that are connected to the 2D chip on the card. So i installed 3dmark99 to test the 3D part of the card.
test1 starts to run and show the race, but a few seconds later everything goes crazy, crashes the PC or textures go crazy. Completely random as for example the race looks fine....then shows glitches, then slows down or jumps and then goes to test#2 where just crashes the PC. or sometime test#1 race starts to look ok and few seconds later just crashes the PC

then tried with a game, same thing, game looks fine ...but seconds later some of the textures start to go crazy till the pc just freezes.

-----could this be something related to bad memory or it is related to bad 2D or 3dfx chips?

-----the card has a total of 16 memory chips with markings that say VG264265BJ-4 (yea too many chips in there) Is there any cheap replacement memory i can use that is sold as 10 pack for example?

----- I noticed that 4 of the memory chip traces are very tied to the 2D chip, and 12 chip traces go more to the two 3DFX chips.

----- Random glitches and crashes happen because of 2D memory? 3D memory? or broken 3dfx chip?

----- specs mention 40ns, can i buy 50ns replacement? or needs to be 40 ?

Mfr Package Description 0.400 INCH, PLASTIC, SOJ-40
Status Discontinued
Access Mode FAST PAGE WITH EDO
Access Time-Max 40.0 ns
JESD-30 Code R-PDSO-J40
Memory Density 4194304.0 bit
Memory IC Type EDO DRAM
Memory Width 16
Number of Functions 1
Number of Ports 1

Reply 1 of 8, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There probably is a common fault, that causes 2D and 3D parts to glitch: a cut trace, rotten via, missing smd, shorting pins, shunting cap or too low VCC to memory/graphics processors, etc, etc.

Reply 2 of 8, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If it is the version with alliance chipset: there is a problem with some drivers clocking the 2d chip a tad too high. You can set the clockspeed a little lower by searching for it in the windows registry. 5mhz lower should be enough.

After that check every test/game again. Still problems? Try cleaning the pci connector and make sure none of the legs on any 3dfx chips are shorting or on the memory chips.

If none of this helps I guess it is time to find another card.

I have too say: I have about 60 3dfx cards and had over a 100 and the cards that are mostly dead/damaged/corrupting when I get them are the Rush cards..... they seem to be fragile.
I prefer the voodoo1: faster, more compatible and much harder to kill.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 3 of 8, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
meljor wrote:

I prefer the voodoo1: faster, more compatible and much harder to kill.

True that.... While I have never owned any rush, then all V1's that I have ever owned, have all worked without any issue at all. I have had 4 over the years, and are now on my 5'th. Roughly 30% of all V2's that I have owned, was dead or had serious issues and 50% of all V3's that I have ever owned, have had issues or died. V1's are build well as far as I can tell.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 4 of 8, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have seen and fixed this before on a voodoo card. When you get no video it is usually that the solder ball welds attaching the GPU to the pcb have broken. Fix is a complete reball of GPU.

When you see strange lettering and horizontal lines on boot up screen it is usually that the ram solder joints have failed. Fix is to repair solder welds from ram chip legs to pcb pads. Pour no-clean flux on the ram chip legs and heat with a heat gun. Let the flux do the job of repairing the solder welds. It’s easy to do and can be repaired in minutes. If not you can remove ram chips with heat gun and then clean up the pcb pads with solder wick and then apply flux paste to the pcb pads and place the ram chip back on the pcb. Heat with heat gun to resoldering back to pcb.

See this video
https://youtu.be/ZypXa9BDXHw

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2019-04-13, 04:35. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 5 of 8, by Cga.8086

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

these voodoo rush were kind of crazy ? did any of you had one of these?

Those glitches and crashes i had were on a SOYO 6BA intel 440bx chipset with a pentium3 550mhz. this is out of period since Rush was from 1997 and Soyo was from 1999.

So today i tried using a different motherboard a QDI P5I430tx socket7 motherboard that also has an intel chipset, the cpu was way out of period since it had a 100mhz pentium chip. In order to match the Voodoo Rush period i should find a pentium 200mmx cpu, but the pentium 100mhz was all i had at hand.

So i tested booting into DOS for some games, the card works perfectly, no glitches at all.

Then booted win98 ( i had it installed from another motherboard and booted and detected a shitload of new stuff because it was from a different motherboard) Installed the voodoo rush drivers and lauched the game TUROK...and it worked perfectly no glitched, runs smooth...feels like 20frames maybe a little bit more but very playable.

then launched 3dmark99... 640x480 resolution , 3dmark99 is out of period, things were slow, the first benchmark that is about racing gave like 4fps and never glitched nor crashed.

So looks like the Voodoo Rush card is fine, and that it is just not very compatible with faster hardware. What kind of benchmark programs were used in 1997 to test these cards?

Reply 6 of 8, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cga.8086 wrote:

What kind of benchmark programs were used in 1997 to test these cards?

i only know 3dfx Benchmark "Wizmark" V3.0 but I don't know if the outcome is very relevant. You can find it here:
http://falconfly.3dfx.pl/artwork.htm

Reply 8 of 8, by RaverX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It depends, I have a few cards that works perfectly with PII and PIII cpus, but not with faster CPUs (Athlon XP, for example). They will quickly overheat and freeze.
I'd say that for a Voodoo Rush you should use Pentium MMX or PII (266-300). Anything faster is pure luck, it might work perfectly, but it might not work or even destroy your card.
Try to provide good cooling, a fan placed at the side of the card have a huge impact in temperature.