VOGONS

First post, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,
Yesterday I was thinking by myself how to connect the front panel audio ports to a Soundblaster 16 ISA Card. Although I have onboard Sound, which would be no problem, I prefer to use the ISA card. Think I could also use both devices. But I just went on thinking. Around midnight I had an idea. If I would plug splitters to speaker out and microphone in ports, i would have the possibility to route one of each of the splitted cables back into the case. ... So that's it for now. I have no idea how to connect a frontpanel plug to normal headphone ports...
Perhaps this is nonsense. I don't know. What do you think?

Ryzen 5 2600X - ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming - 32GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Reply 1 of 18, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok... Let's say I would open the isolation of the Frontpanel plug to have access to each single cable. In my understanding I would connect a headphone jack with left, right and ground for speaker. Similar I would do with the cables for mic. Would this work?

Ryzen 5 2600X - ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming - 32GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Reply 2 of 18, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Lazar81 wrote:

Ok... Let's say I would open the isolation of the Frontpanel plug to have access to each single cable. In my understanding I would connect a headphone jack with left, right and ground for speaker. Similar I would do with the cables for mic. Would this work?

NEVER EVER connect two separate inputs (ie external devices like headphones or amps) to one output (on soundcard) using a passive splitter.

If your sound card has two outputs - one for headphones and one lineout, then you can use one for front panel audio and one for speakers for example.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 3 of 18, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Take a look

Attachments

• audioout.png
    Filename
    audioout.png
    File size
    29.15 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 4 of 18, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok. Good to know. Thank for the hint. The ct1740 only has a speaker out port. So I would have to use an active splitter.

Reply 5 of 18, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Tandy Sensation II tapped into the Waveblaster header to power its front panel jacks and onboard speaker. The daughter card likely had a mic and headphone amp built into it.

Photos of board are here: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?678 … tion-II-25-1651

Reply 6 of 18, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Don't know if I understood correctly. This is a daughterboard? And it has a header for the front panel ports?

If that's so I wonder how ressources are handed over to the device because I am using the midi port for Roland sound.

Reply 7 of 18, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Waveblaster header has audio input and output. The Tandy setup doesn't use the MIDI pins on the header at all, its just tapping its audio I/O for other uses.

Reply 9 of 18, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

why not just use some of those desktop speakers that have headphones jacks on them if you wanted to use headphones. To be realistic you don't need a microphone, i don't think your going to be skyping with that,

Reply 10 of 18, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Because I already have speakers with headphone port. That's not what I wanted. I was thinking about a possibility to use the front Panel ports with my Soundcard.

Skype is not the only program that needs a microphone.

Reply 11 of 18, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

splitter should work fine as long as there is no continuity on either jacks but you should always use a mulitmeter to check for continuity with you are making cables or soldering jacks together. And that you dont ever plug in your headphones or use the front jacks while your speakers are turned on. If you follow that advice i think you would be fine despite what that other guy said.

other option would to wire a small switch and mounting the switch to the FP up to your Y splitter, switch it manally left or right dpending on which thing you want to use that way it would prevent you from ever having 2 things going at once.

when i say check for continuity that means to make sure left and right and ground never touching each other.

Reply 13 of 18, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Theres no availability for that part, unless you want to find a tandy computer which is probably going to be hard and steal that part from it. That suggestion I think is not realistic at all.

Reply 15 of 18, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

eaxatly what I would do it was me is Id do somthing like this. But I would do it my self and I would drill a hole in the front panel of the computer for the toggle switch. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-RCA-Phono- … r-/253196261678

Then you just switch between enabling front audio or rear audio.

s-l1600.png

Reply 16 of 18, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had some new ideas on this. But it stops where I am not able to create/build internal items. But: 😀 I was thinking again of this card attached to the wavetable header in this Tandy thing. Couldn't someone with enough expertise create a similar item. Like this awesome stuff in serdashop.... I think there would be some (more) guys out there that would like to use the Frontpanel audio of there modern case with a retro soundcard. That would be a very elegant solution.

Reply 17 of 18, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's no problem splitting an OUTPUT by tying two wires in parallel. But, I wouldn't split an INPUT that way.

I know some SB16s have separate line and speaker level outputs. That would be ideal. Assuming your speakers are powered, they just need a line level signal and should be used from the line out. Headphones will work from a speaker level output, just be careful with the volume. You might need to build in some attenuation. A series resistor should do OK in this application. Appropriate value might be 47R, plus or minus one order of magnitude. (Depends on your headphone impedance and the voltage being output by the sound card.)

Having a back panel mic AND a front panel mic plugged in could be problematic. Not such a big deal if you just use the front panel jack exclusively, regardless of whether you're using a desktop mic or headset mic, for example. Or whatever it is you kids do with PC microphones.

The *correct* way to do all of this is to tie in to the circuit before the output jack with a switched jack. When you plug in to the front panel, the jack opens a switch which interrupts the signal going to the back panel jack. With nothing plugged in, the front panel jack just loops the signal back to the card and out the back panel jack. You might be able to do this with the output, if your card has a shared line / spk output jack with jumpers to determine whether to amplify the output or not. No idea if any of the SB16s had a mic jumper on the board, nor what its purpose would be if it did exist.