First post, by TheMLGladiator
Recently, whenever I try to install BioShock, it fails to connect to the auto patch server. It worked a few months ago, so I'm not sure why it's not working now.
EDIT: For anyone looking for a solution that doesn't involve installing a cracked version or buying the game again, here is a good solution.
bubish wrote on 2020-11-14, 04:00:
I was able to get the installer to complete! Here's how I did it: I downloaded the Mongoose web server (https://code.google.com/ […]
I was able to get the installer to complete! Here's how I did it:
I downloaded the Mongoose web server (https://code.google.com/archive/p/mongoose/) as it's light weight, free, and doesn't require any installation. Just drop it in a folder that will serve as the root of the "web site".
Then I created a folder in the root folder called "bioshock". I copied the patch file posted above in there and renamed it to "installer" with no file extension.
I then started mongoose on port 80 by running "mongoose-5.0 listening_port 80".
The last thing I had to do was update the host file (c:\windows\system32\driver\etc\hosts) to point www.2kgames.com to my local machine. The line to add is "127.0.0.1 www.2kgames.com". Just add it to the end of the file.
From there I ran the installer. It picked up the patch, finished installing, and ran fine from there.
Sorry to revive a dead post, but I'm hoping this can help someone in the future.