VOGONS

First post, by rishooty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I decided that instead of trying to build a whole new machine for collecting games and running them natively, I'd use the existing T42 I got at a flea market a year back. It's already upgraded with another stick of ram, a 120gb hdd, and cleaned. I played around with it some, trying out different OSes. I just never settled on anything because I was bouncing between wanting to run them on my modern machine or build a desktop. I'll probably be moving out to my first apartment soon, so saving money and space is now a must.

My plan is simply to install Windows 98, Unofficial SP 2.1, nusb 3.3, DirectX7.0a, daemon tools, and retrozilla. Then maybe enable DMA and digital redbook audio. I'm done with over-complicating my software.

However, the driver hunt for this thing is "fun" as it is (the battery driver has to be taken from win2000 fyi + i forget which but one of the official drivers on thinkpads.com BSODs your machine), but on top of it I have ZERO clue what driver to install for the Radeon 7500 it comes with. Existing/similar threads don't give much insight.
-Catalyst 6.2 is the latest.
-I know you need 4.2 to run KOTOR properly, but that's a title more fit for XP+ so that sorta doesn't matter.
-Some people suggest 3.x for compatibility and performance reasons, but its ambiguous which 3.x. To play it safe, some people just run 3.1 so they don't have to trial and error.
-VXD Drivers exist, but I'm not sure up to which version. Also, I'm not sure if the stability vs performance tradeoff is worth it.
-Many have suggested Omega Drivers, but they're near IMPOSSIBLE to find for 9x/ME, despite the fact that they do exist up to catalyst 6.2 I believe. It was hard enough just finding the ones for catalyst 3.1 when I had ME on it.
-On top of all the above, many later versions warn you of needing/demand directx 8. Some say you can get around this and install anyway, but I believe that depends on version. I've personally installed them and then used a DX removal tool to uninstall and reinstall 7.0a, but it feels too hacky to be safe, unless someone can convince me otherwise that a driver designed for 8.0 won't freak out with 7.0a.

Any insight?

Reply 2 of 6, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

omega driver, that worked for me on my T41 it has the same GPU 7500 32 MB. Don't need to install the rad linker or multi res. http://www.mediafire.com/file/qia3nvqs32tm2bv … a_2637.exe/file

I can probably find some other versions for you if you don't like it. But like I said it worked good for me. This is the best driver though for a thinkpad t41 or 2. I researched it a lot.

Reply 3 of 6, by rishooty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

An excellent start, thanks! So we know that 4.2 is pretty much the maximum you'd want to run(which is what your driver is based on), but according to Radeon 7500 - best Windows 98 drivers? that still might be too new:

You generally want to steer towards the 3.x range with that card under 98SE. What I would usually do is install a driver and load up UT2004 to see if the NVIDIA logo was rendered correctly. On newer drivers it does not.

So there seems to be a nonspecific version of 3.x with minimal rendering issues. I don't have the files, nor a copy of UT2004 to test with. There's also the fact that the omega drivers may not even have these issues at all.

Reply 4 of 6, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

https://web.archive.org/web/20060222024750/ht … zr/ATIPOWPL.zip

catalyst 5.10 based driver for ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 (IBM OEM)

Unzipped path HAS to be C:\ATI\SUPPORT\...

Driver installation .../ 5-10_xp-2k_dd_27256/setup.exe

Controlpanel installation .../5-10_xp-2k_cp_27256/setup.exe

Reply 5 of 6, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rishooty wrote:

-Many have suggested Omega Drivers, but they're near IMPOSSIBLE to find for 9x/ME, despite the fact that they do exist up to catalyst 6.2 I believe.

Omega drivers go only up to 9xxx cards, nothing for X series. Anyway the last ones are here :
http://www.tmeeco.eu/9X4EVER/GOODIES/rad_w9x_omega_2637.exe

At one point I did Catalyst 6.2 + whatever I found in the omega Drivers :
Re: Unholy mix of Catalyst 6.2 and Omega Drivers

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 6 of 6, by rishooty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Welp, I've decided that since most of these drivers require DirectX 8.x or 9.x anyway(and I've tested, they do, the control panel completely breaks if you don't), that the omega of 4.2 works best. So far its been running smooth, thanks.