VOGONS

First post, by houmii

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Compaq LTE 4/50
Floppy drive and old hard drive is broken.
I have IDE - CF card adapter and different size small cards.
Made dos image with qemu, but it didnt work. Any guide to make this alive?

1.Created qemu disk image and istalled DOS to it. (with another computer)
2.Formatted CF card to Fat16 and writed disk image image to it with Win32Diskimager

NO go. Laptop no boots to DOS.
Any tips for bringing this laptop alive?

HVVUpEQ.jpg

Reply 1 of 9, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You need to set up the hard drive, since the CF card has a different geometry. You need to run the setup disk for this. So first: get the floppy drive working. You can do this by boiling the belt (2 minutes at 100°C - make sure it always floats in the water). Had a similar model with the same issue and boiling the drive's belt made it work long enough again to run the setup disk and install DOS.

Reply 3 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think the same as derSammler. Fixing the floppy drive first is worth a try.
Even if it only boots a minimal DOS system (by using 360KB or 720KB formats) so far to let you run FDISK and set up a partition.
(Then, if you like, make an image of the CF card and continue with your emulator approach; afterwards write the image back again).

However, if that fails, even, there's another thing left to try.
Instead of Qemu, use PCem and try to choose an old machine type that's similar to your laptop or has a similar BIOS.

Then, install MS-DOS 6.x and try again. If that doesn't work, give FreeDOS or MS-DOS 7 a try,
since they have got more advanced boot loaders chances are better they do handle geometry issues properly.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 9, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These Compaq LTE laptops stores part of the BIOS setup and diagnostics on the hard drive, without it you won't be able to boot PC from a hard drive. You must fix that floppy in order to create a BIOS setup/diagnostics partition on a hard drive. I have two such LTE 486 laptops and both suffer from loose rubber belt in a floppy drive. You must get a new belt or make a custom one.

Reply 5 of 9, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does it give you any on screen errors on boot up?

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 6 of 9, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a LTE Elite 4/40CX like that and it doesn't need a BIOS setup diagnostic to boot.

What you can do if you have another laptop is to put the CF card in the other lap, format it in there and install everything there then put it back in the Compaq.

Finding a replacement belt would be awesome, but I believe everyone has given up now 🙁

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 7 of 9, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Must be an O'ring that can do the job. What are dimensions of the belt?

Deksor is correct. You don't need the bios util on the hdd to et up drives. Same goes for desktop systems like the Presario CDS524.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 8 of 9, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Look for "Citizen W1D belt" on Google, there are several threads about this. If you can find a suitable replacement, I'd be so thankful 😀

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 9 of 9, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SSTV2 wrote:

These Compaq LTE laptops stores part of the BIOS setup and diagnostics on the hard drive, without it you won't be able to boot PC from a hard drive. You must fix that floppy in order to create a BIOS setup/diagnostics partition on a hard drive. I have two such LTE 486 laptops and both suffer from loose rubber belt in a floppy drive. You must get a new belt or make a custom one.

Although correct, this is optional. Compaq created a small - so called - maintenance/setup partition at the front of the drive map. On it was the setup and diagnostic software. Now - it is important to say that the "setup" utility is basically the BIOS setup utility.

Yes, that means that without this maintenance partition present, you cannot enter the BIOS (by hitting ESC/F10) at the startup of the machine. This is basically equivalent of having the bootable setup diskette inserted at boot.

It is, though, not necessary to have this partition set-up/present. It merely means that you can't reach the BIOS without the setup diskette. These models are - however - able to boot from the HDD controller without the setup partition present. I have a Contura still (and had an LTE once) - both do not have the setup/diag partition present, and when necessary to change anything in the BIOS, I do boot from setup diskette.

They do not store the BIOS data in this partition, merely the program to access / change it (BIOS GUI)