VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by umisery

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I'm having an issue with Hot Wheels Stunt Track Challenge on Windows 10, the GPU check fails with my 1050Ti and I'm not able to set up the controls in the launcher. I've tried using dgVoodoo2 to bypass the GPU error, but it fails on the D3D9 wrapper as well.

hg6OrPf.png

avs0F6b.png

Here's what the launcher says:

Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti - nvldumd.dll
Hardware OK.
Hardware FAILED. 0 1 55621696

Peripherals
Keyboard
Game Mouse
Game Mouse
Game Mouse
Game Mouse
Gam
Controller (XBOX 360 For Windows)
USB Keyboard
USB Keyboard
USB Keyboard
Hardware OK.

Processor
Pentium® III (0.18 µm) With 1 Or 2 MB On-Die L2 Cache
Hardware OK.

Memory
1023Mb physical memory
2047Mb virtual memory
Hardware OK.

There was a similar issue reported here for another Hot Wheels game, but it was for the CPU and not the GPU so the solutions don't work sadly; Hot Wheels World Race hardware check

Any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers.

Reply 1 of 9, by weldum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

maybe with dgvoodoo you can trick the game into thinking you're using an older video card

DT: R7-5800X3D/R5-3600/R3-1200/P-G5400/FX-6100/i3-3225/P-8400/D-900/K6-2_550
LT: C-N2840/A64-TK57/N2600/N455/N270/C-ULV353/PM-1.7/P4-2.6/P133
TC: Esther-1000/Esther-400/Vortex86-366
Others: Drean C64c/Czerweny Spectrum 48k/Talent MSX DPC200/M512K/MP475

Reply 2 of 9, by umisery

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
umisery wrote:

I've tried using dgVoodoo2 to bypass the GPU error, but it fails on the D3D9 wrapper as well.

Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti - dgVoodoo DirectX Wrapper
Hardware OK.
Hardware FAILED. 0 1 80353540

Reply 4 of 9, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's probably a VRAM check, no matter what VRAM setting I set in dgVoodoo2 I get this:

[4872] GetVideoMemorySize: successfully enumerated "0" (4095.000000)

(debug output from application, not visible normally).

It doesn't seem to prevent you from playing the game though? I can press "Play" just fine and launch the game. All it seems to do is disable the "Uninstall/Controls/Display" buttons. I think someone screwed up here and "Play" was supposed to be disabled but was skipped since it's not a regular button.

If you do want to access the (horrible) control/display options I did it the lazy way with AutoHotkey and a simple script:

Control,Enable,,Button7,ahk_exe check.exe
Control,Enable,,Button8,ahk_exe check.exe

Problem is when you save the controller settings it will work just fine, but the next time you want to adjust controls it won't (complaining about unassigned buttons), so you need to delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\thq\HotWheelsSTC\Controllers if you didn't set everything correctly in one attempt.

You should be using regedit anyway, since the game's video settings allows a max of 1024x768, but in HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\thq\HotWheelsSTC\display settings you can set any (4:3) resolution you want.

Reply 5 of 9, by umisery

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ZellSF Thank you for the solution, I'll use your AHK solution to access the controls and display setting panels. Much appreciated.

Procyon wrote:

I had a similar issue with Hot Wheels World Race and ZellSF came up with this workaround.

Hot Wheels World Race hardware check

Maybe it works with this game too.

umisery wrote:

There was a similar issue reported here for another Hot Wheels game, but it was for the CPU and not the GPU so the solutions don't work sadly; Hot Wheels World Race hardware check

I provided everything I could in the OP guys.

Edit: Seems to crash whenever I click on the 'Configure' button in the Controls tab. 🙁

P.S. I added your fix to PCGamingWiki

Reply 6 of 9, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Works for me, but clicking some controllers crashes (my sound card is registered as a controller and will crash if I select its tab). The default controller is the top one in the dropdown list before hitting "Configure", is that not "Keyboard" in your case?

Reply 7 of 9, by umisery

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can configure the keyboard just fine, but not my controller (Xbox 360 controller). It crashes when trying to configure it, with or without that registry key deleted.

Demonstration GIF: https://i.imgur.com/QiJVygV.gif

I do appreciate your help though mate.

Reply 8 of 9, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well I have two suggestions.

1) Use XInput Plus to rebind controls:
https://sites.google.com/site/0dd14lab/xinput-plus
It's a tool you need to familiarize yourself with anyway, if you're going to be playing a lot of old games with a Xbox 360 controller.

2) Use this:
https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file … put-dinput8dll/
Seems to break keyboard though.