VOGONS

First post, by kbs1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's WYSE DecisionMate SX, so probably 386. Was it released under some other brands? I can't even find a picture online. The HDD spins up but doesn't work, I've patched in a CR2032 battery so now it holds time. Where can I find any more information? Is it that rare?

Thank you! 😀

Attachments

Last edited by kbs1 on 2019-11-13, 00:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by kbs1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

More photos

Attachments

Reply 2 of 4, by ragefury32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Digital Archeology time!

I did a search on the power brick and got several names - one of them being Commax Ultrathin 386. And someone is selling one on ebay!

Okay, next up, FCC ID and see what's going on. One of the photos is from the bottom of the laptop and contains the FCCID code, which includes the grantee and the equipment code.
Grantee Code: HLO
Equipment Code: EL386S-20

A quick FCC ID search reveals the original registration/record. Too bad there's no correspondence or further documentation of the certification process from them.

Looks like the equipment is from a company named Veridata - my guess is that the Wyse DecisionMate is an OEM version of the Veridata Execulite SX.

Oh, and here's a teardown in traditional Chinese ->
http://bugworkshop.blogspot.com/2015/03/verid … el-386s_26.html

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-03-02, 07:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 4, by FAMICOMASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If the disk spins up but doesn't work, the type is probably wildly wrong. A lot of these 386 SX/SL laptops use proprietary disk types, so you might have to pop the cover to look at the disk geometry itself.

My Compudyne 3SL/25 had the same problem - The 80MB hard disk spun up but was not detected. Some BIOSes don't have this feature, and some hard disks can't do it either.

Might be worth a try to just set the type manually at random and see if it comes up.

Very cool form factor, wonder how hard it would be to put a 387SX and a new battery in it? Would make for a great little portable machine, don't you think?
Too bad it has that weird LCD connector instead of a TTL or VGA output.