VOGONS

First post, by daikatana_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, it's not exactly an issue. I'd like to ask about a weird problem I'm having, while playing MIDI files using OPL3 sound cards. I usually use Windows 98 to play back some MIDI soundtracks using different wavetable cards. Yesterday, I found out that Doom 2 (haven't tried Doom, but I reckon it's the same) sounds completely different when playing the actual game (real DOS 6.22) vs playing back MIDI files in Windows 98. First I used Sound Blaster 16, I thought there could be a problem with driver, so I tried different card and of course different drivers, namely Aztech Sound Galaxy Pro II which uses OPL3 chip as well, and they sounded identical in Windows 98, so the problem wasn't drivers or SB16 itself. Then I tried playing MIDI files using Roland SC-D70 and it sounds exactly the same as the actual game running with general MIDI driver. Then I tried many DOS MIDI players and the only one of them sounds identical to the game, MUS Player, which is designed to play specifically Doom music.

So my question is, why does Doom sound different using OPL3?

Cheers

Game MIDI soundtracks

Retro games and HW reviews

Reply 2 of 5, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

the sound formatting of how the midi track is structured/mastered is likely different to how the in-game tracker plays the adlib standard FM audio - i think there are more effects that midi can do that FM can't, which is probably why it sounds different.

Reply 3 of 5, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes it depends on how midi commands are mapped to the OPL. The SB16 and Aztech sounding the same in Windows isn't even a given, they probably just use the same driver internally but a different sound card maker might decide to have his own midi->OPL conversion.

Obviously the game does things its own way, and there's even ways to change that: https://github.com/sneakernets/DMXOPL

Additionally a .mid file might not match a game's internal midi format, so even a GM device might sound different between playing a file and actually listening in-game. I think Doom files fine, but for example the midi files that come with System Shock on Steam are way off due to a flawed conversion process.

Reply 4 of 5, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Oetker wrote on 2020-02-20, 07:47:

Additionally a .mid file might not match a game's internal midi format, so even a GM device might sound different between playing a file and actually listening in-game.

I read something similar about Duke3D as well.

Supposedly, the music sounds slightly different when played in-game.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 5 of 5, by daikatana_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Oetker wrote on 2020-02-20, 07:47:

Additionally a .mid file might not match a game's internal midi format, so even a GM device might sound different between playing a file and actually listening in-game. I think Doom files fine, but for example the midi files that come with System Shock on Steam are way off due to a flawed conversion process.

I actually used .mus files straight from the Doom .wad file.

Anyway, thanks for clearing that up, guys.

Game MIDI soundtracks

Retro games and HW reviews