VOGONS

First post, by Erik343

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got a new DOS laptop from my friend, and is in great condition. It is a 105CS Toshiba notebook with an old Pentium 386. I later noticed that it has no internal sound card.
I am now looking for a compatible 16-bit PCMCIA sound card. I found one called EXP SoundNote S-16 here: https://www.cnet.com/products/sound-card-pcmc … -for-notebooks/

Does anybody know where I can find such a sound card (or similar 16-bit card) for purchase like on ebay.com etc.? Are there other websites that sell these very old cards? I just wanna be able to get my laptop's video games like Doom to be able to play sound. I also prefer sound blaster compatible cards.

I also noticed that there are a ton of Sound Blaster 16 PCI desktop cards on the net, but no PCMCIA Sound Blaster 16 cards for old laptops?

Thanks!
Erik W.

Reply 1 of 4, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Welcome to the forums!
There are many 16bit pcmcia sound cards, just follow the link in my signature.
The Exp Soundnote only does Adlib FM in DOS, no digital sound.
You can play Doom with the pc speaker for beeps and boops though...
Ebay and Yahoo auctions are the usual sources for old pcmcia cards, and depending where you are located. classified ads might also be an option, like craigslist, something like that.

As for Creative Labs, the only 16bit pcmcia cards they made were modems.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 2 of 4, by Erik343

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the information!

I found that the PC Speaker sound is garbage. I next found out about the OPT3LPT parallel port clone sound card! Yes, it works for music, but not for Doom's sound effects.

I then found the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Notebook (which is PCMCIA). People are saying that is the best mobile sound card for Windows 98. Also, another post on this forum claims that it can work with DOS: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Windows 98 Driver or http://mpxplay.sourceforge.net/
Also, my 105CS Toshiba laptop is Windows 95 and Windows 98 compatible as well...

Reply 3 of 4, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The PCMCIA Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS does NOT work with DOS. The PCI card will word with DOS though... although the Creative Labs PCI cards' DOS support is not all that great.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 4, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Audigy 2 ZS Notebook doesn't work in Windows 98 either.

There are only 2 cards that will give you digital sound in pure DOS and not in all games.
They're both really hard to come by, other pcmcia cards will give you adlib/fm music, or General Midi through either an OPL4 chip or Roland Sound Canvas in DOS and digital sound in Windows 9x, but only a very few cards will have SB emulation in Windows.

Though if you play Doom using WinDoom, you'll get digital sound, or you can learn to love the pc speaker sound...

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics