VOGONS

First post, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just picked up this beauty recently. It has one damaged component (a ceramic cap near the memory chip) but otherwise looks great. My PC running Windows 98SE detects the card, which is a good sign.

I'd really like to find the original drivers for it. I haven't tested the generic Interwave 9x drivers yet, but I found this page specifically for this card:

http://files.mpoli.fi/unpacked/hardware/sound … ther/sc800.zip/

Sadly, the link on that website that goes to the unpacked Win95 driver file is broken, the SC800.zip file is there (under hardware) but it does NOT contain the Win95 files! Also, the wonderful mirror of this FTP only covers the "Hardware" portion, rather than the unpacked files. 😢

The page says:

NOTE: Must have the above Windows 3.1 software diskettes to install the this 95 driver disk.

13008110.zip 627k 14.05.96 Installation Disk for Win95

If anyone has this 13008110.zip file, please upload it or link to it here! 😀

Attachments

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 1 of 7, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, I haven't found the WavExtreme driver, but using the Win95 driver from this site (pnpv22a.zip) I got the card to work. Device manager does not find compatible drivers but if I force them Via "Have Disk..." they work.

Under Windows 98SE the system actually detected four separate devices on this card. One was an IDE interface, but the others were basically unknown and marked as "WAVExtreme 32". By some freak chance I managed to assign the three devices the correct drivers from the pnpv22a pack in the correct order the first time without any errors or conflicts! I can't think of any easy way to identify which ones I assigned to which drivers, so I'll just go by the resources assigned to them in device manager, since that will likely be similar on any system:

GUS PNP Synth\CODEC:
IRQ= 5
IO= 388
DMA= 1

GUS PNP FM\SB Emulation:
IRQ= 9
IO= 330

GUS PNP MPU-401 Emulation:
IRQ= 10
DMA= 7,6
IO=240, 340, 34C

Once it is installed you can run the setupsw.exe program to get the GUS software installed in Windows.

Amazingly, everything seems to work great! I get a bit of a popping sound after digital samples are played some times, but overall it works great. For only a 1MB ROM on a fairly basic card, the synth sounds excellent for MIDI playback as well. I'm not sure exactly what the damaged capacitor is for since the card is mostly working fine. Maybe I should just replace it with a random cap of similar size. There's no way to know what it was supposed to have.

I don't know much about GUS or Interwave cards. Since this card has 1MB ROM (as identified by the GUS software) and has no RAM slots\sockets, am I limited on what "Ultrasound" features this card can use? Seems like anything that would use an Ultrasound's RAM would not function on a card like this.

I have also attached the driver file to this post, just in case the other site goes down. It may be on Vogons drivers already, I haven't checked.

EDIT: By the way, I'm putting the card through its paces right now. My daughter is "jamming" to a bunch of MIDI tracks on my test system. It sounds really good. It's no SC55, but... wow, I'm impressed.

Attachments

• Filename
    pnpv22a.zip
    File size
    1.07 MiB
    Downloads
    54 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 7, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2020-04-11, 22:01:

Since this card has 1MB ROM (as identified by the GUS software) and has no RAM slots\sockets, am I limited on what "Ultrasound" features this card can use? Seems like anything that would use an Ultrasound's RAM would not function on a card like this.

Since the card has no RAM, and no option to add any, its compatibility with traditional GUS software will be almost non-existent. Furthermore, some features of its wavetable playback, including effects (reverb/chorus) won't be available, as they require RAM-based storage as well. Putting an InterWave on a board with no RAM is a bit of an odd design decision.

Reply 4 of 7, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
640K!enough wrote on 2020-04-13, 15:37:
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2020-04-11, 22:01:

Since this card has 1MB ROM (as identified by the GUS software) and has no RAM slots\sockets, am I limited on what "Ultrasound" features this card can use? Seems like anything that would use an Ultrasound's RAM would not function on a card like this.

Since the card has no RAM, and no option to add any, its compatibility with traditional GUS software will be almost non-existent. Furthermore, some features of its wavetable playback, including effects (reverb/chorus) won't be available, as they require RAM-based storage as well. Putting an InterWave on a board with no RAM is a bit of an odd design decision.

Great, thanks for the input!

As it is, it makes for a very nice sounding wavetable MIDI card for Windows. Though I have to wonder... does it need half a dozen TSRs to have usable MIDI under DOS?

Reply 5 of 7, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your card reminds me of the STB Soundrage 32, another Interwave card. I cover it in this post (scroll down about 10 cards or so): Re: My Wavetable Sample Thread

Reply 6 of 7, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2020-04-13, 23:19:

Though I have to wonder... does it need half a dozen TSRs to have usable MIDI under DOS?

No, not half a dozen; an InterWave card can be used in one of three major ways:

1. GUS-compatibility mode
  2. Native InterWave support
  3. Via compatibility TSR (MPU-401, OPL2, Sound Blaster digital audio)

Since the card in question has no RAM, the first option is not viable. Traditional GF1-based GUS software requires RAM to do just about anything. If the software was designed to take advantage of the 16-bit recording module or the GUS MAX, you may be able to get some sound via the CODEC module, but that isn't something that will offer sound quality or features that are unique to the GUS line.

Native InterWave support can be accomplished in a number of ways, but it seems that most software largely ignores the RAM-based architecture of the design and uses whatever happens to be in the ROM for music synthesis. This is fine for your particular card, but is somewhat limiting for most other designs. If, by some chance, they tried to use RAM for multi-channel playback of other effects, you still won't be able to take full advantage of the InterWave's features.

The last option is generally the worst of the bunch. This will use either IWSBOS or Mega-Em. I don't remember testing how functional either one is without on-board RAM, so it is unclear if they will work at all in this case. They generally sound pretty bad, especially when trying to emulate an OPL2. There is the rare software that can sound passable, but it doesn't happen often. The MPU-401 and MT-32 emulation modes are a little more functional, but if you have any experience with a decent "wavetable" card, you will see that the shortcuts they took in implementing their emulation TSRs make the whole thing sound like a compromise. In short, don't expect Roland- or Yamaha-level quality.

boxpressed wrote on 2020-04-14, 05:06:

Your card reminds me of the STB Soundrage 32, another Interwave card. I cover it in this post (scroll down about 10 cards or so): Re: My Wavetable Sample Thread

The interesting thing about the card you mentioned is that it looks like there might be a footprint for one SOJ DRAM chip. I have no experience with that particular card, but it looks like a possibility, from your low-resolution picture of the board. You'd have to carefully check where the traces go from that footprint to be sure before trying anything, but 512 KiB of RAM would make the card much more functional.

Reply 7 of 7, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I know this is old but was looking for all the SC400 and SC600 files I could find and stumbled on "13008110.zip 627k 14.05.96 Installation Disk for Win95" thru way back machine off a BBS mirror, and it tests OK with 7zip.
from the sc800.inf:
;--------------------------------------------------------------------
; SC800.INF - Windows 95 OEMSETUP.INF File For Reveal SC800 Board
; Copyright 1995 Advanced Micro Devices. All Rights Reserved.
;
; This OEMSETUP.INF file is used to install the WAVExtreme 32 (SC800)
; board under Windows 95. It assumes that a full WAVExtreme 32
; DOS installation is already present.
;
; To use this file, you need a Reveal SC800 board programmed with
; the CSE Reveal SC800 EEPROM map. This map contains the changes
; required to get Windows 95 to correctly install all the
; appropriate software drivers (such as the CD-ROM and joystick)
; in addition to the drivers supplied by Advanced Micro Devices.
;
; NOTE: Windows 95 requires that the floppy disk this software is
; copied to to have a volume label. This SC800.INF
; file requires that the volume label is WAVE32.
;--------------------------------------------------------------------

Attached below.....

Attachments

• Image3.jpg
    Filename
    Image3.jpg
    File size
    45.26 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    13008110.zip
    File size
    612.12 KiB
    Downloads
    32 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun