VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Xanarki

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, I've noticed some inconsistencies with DirectPlay on Windows 10. For example, the 1997 game Outlaws, as long as you open the proper ports and both players have the same Windows OS and game exe, they connect fine. But yet, on the 1999 game Redline (the 1 I'm desperately trying to fix), connecting directly via IP does not work at all. I have tried numerous things, such as:

Enabling DirectPlay via legacy (of course). Both players using the same demo version. Both players using the same full patched version. Opening ports that the game calls for plus DirectPlay ports. Disabling the firewall on both the PC and router. Tried setting up a temporary DMZ on the router. Tried Kali but that didn't work (maybe ipxwrapper interfered with it, am not certain).

I know for a fact that connecting to someone else directly used to work, at least on older Windows. But I've tried 2 systems (Windows 10/Windows 10, and Windows 10/Windows 7) and fails each time, no games ever show up, regardless of who hosts or joins. (note: I have 2 different networks with different IPs, to simulate 2 people across the country connecting, I did indeed try IPX/LAN on the same network, and that works fine...and a Win10 friend across the globe tried direct connecting to my Win7 then my Win10 with no results...)

So my question actually is, has anyone had experience with getting DirectPlay to function properly for their favorite old PC game? Or, have you ever came across a similar problem? I'm just trying to look for some sort of insight, anything at all. Thanks!

Last edited by Xanarki on 2020-04-22, 04:41. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 1 of 1, by Xanarki

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, I couldn't fix the problem. But if anyone else is searching online and stumbles across this post, maybe some of the things I tried above will help their game instead. I analyzed the packets via Wireshark, as soon as the other PC tries to connect and the DirectPlay protocol appears ("enum sessions"), many packets get lost. The one that sticks out to me is the black message "TCP retransmission", which is always a 6400-ish source port and a 2300 destination port (which I made sure that I've forwarded). The only other black one is a "TCP Dup ACK" that always has a 443 source port and a different 6400-ish destination port (forwarded 'em too). Also occasionally a red "RST, ACK" message appears with different ports. There's a lot in between that I don't understand, but that's the only black/red messages. I'm gonna take a guess and, bottom line, DirectPlay on a modern OS reacts extremely differently than 20 years ago. Damn.

Also, for anyone that sees this looking for answers, I saw a solution for another game, where the Legacy Feature only enables the 64-bit DirectPlay, and won't work for 32-bit programs. Don't know how true it is, but I tried to add the 32-bit DirectPlay DLLs thinking it might work for me, but it did not.

Edit: I figured it out. Had to forward 3 ports on my main network, and also, hotspots will not work with DirectPlay because there is no possible easy way to forward ports on them, to gain access to DirectPlay.