VOGONS

First post, by HansZ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello to all,

I am struggling with my GUS PNP 8mb Windows 95 installation for the last few days. i am 100% sure that i followed installation guides and instructions properly. Initially upon installation everything seems OK (Windows sounds work) however I've noticed that I have the problem after first Quake run (Game would hang on sound initialization, would only work with -nosound and -wavonly options). I tried Quake 2, run into similar problems. Then I decided to check dxdiag and computer would automatically freeze the moment application is started. I also noticed that if i go to control panel, audio properties, audio output and change it to synth computer would freeze right away... There are no conflicts, no errors during installation, everything is just normal.

Configuration:
Pentium 233mmx, 64Mb RAM
P5I430VX/250 Mobo
Stealth S220 & Canopus Pure3D
Promise Ultra 100TX2 with 14Gb DOM

TJBvMJ5.jpg
SEC2tNc.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

• Filename
    DXInfo01.txt
    File size
    6.39 KiB
    Downloads
    51 downloads
    File comment
    DX Info report
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 8, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

First and foremost, does it work with these settings under DOS (synth and wave out)
Second, are any non-plugnplay devices installed ?
Third, is your ISA bus running faster than 8 or so MHz ?

Reply 3 of 8, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HansZ wrote on 2020-04-22, 22:24:

Installed my registered copy of Doom, Music and FX are set to Ultrasound, 4 channels, everything runs as it should. No non-pnp devices are installed, and ISA clock is PCI/4 (so roughly 8ish Mhz).

Hmm, you could try removing the Voodoo and running the Stealth with a standard VGA driver to exclude a weird driver conflict . Might possibly try a different ISA slot .

If you have a disk you can plug directly to the onboard ATA controller maybe try the system as bare as possible with only video card and GUS) .

Basically, a process of elimination, unless somebody else has an idea .

Reply 5 of 8, by HansZ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've removed network card, voodoo, changed ISA slot of GUS PNP and then reinstalled windows 95... didn't installed anything else beside USB drivers and Video Card, then installed installed GUS and unfortunately nothing has changed...GUS in noticeable using different IRQ this time, and i tried lowering DMA's to lower settings without success.

yM1KCo8.jpg

To summarize codec wave driver no problems, synth selected system freezes momentarily 🙁

Reply 7 of 8, by HansZ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update: I've got tired of trying to make it work in the P233mmx system, so pulled out my brand new MSI 6167 (Slot A) with Athlon K7 750, went with Windows 98SE this time and GUS Works like a charm. Problem resolved. If anyone ever tries to pair GUS PnP with P5I430VX-250DM EXPLORER II (SPEED EASY) motherboard, expect problems. Thanks.

Reply 8 of 8, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HansZ wrote on 2020-04-28, 00:48:

Update: I've got tired of trying to make it work in the P233mmx system, so pulled out my brand new MSI 6167 (Slot A) with Athlon K7 750, went with Windows 98SE this time and GUS Works like a charm. Problem resolved. If anyone ever tries to pair GUS PnP with P5I430VX-250DM EXPLORER II (SPEED EASY) motherboard, expect problems. Thanks.

Happy it worked out in the end .