VOGONS

First post, by VertX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi. This is my first post and also am very new to forums altogether so sorry if I am posting in the wrong area or someone has covered this topic already.

I have two retro PCs with a Pentium 2 400MHz and Windows 98, and a Pentium 133 with Windows 95. They both work great but I the problem is I have to settle using a PS/2 mouse as I just can't get the PCs to recognize any of my USB mice. I guess it's pretty obvious as USB mice were far and few between back then. I have a PS/2 mouse but it's a ball mouse and the tracking is terrible, and frankly ball mice haven't aged well in my opinion. I am aware that there are optical mice with PS/2 out there so that would be a nice backup but that makes me curious...

Would it be possible by any chance to get a modern gaming mouse such as my Corsair Nightsword RGB or Steelseries Rival 110 to work over a PS/2 port? How would I go around doing something like this? Is there a way to get Windows 9x and DOS to utilize a USB mouse? is there a converter of some kind I could get? I know it would just be easy enough to use a optical PS/2 mouse from the early 2000s, but a modern gaming mouse would provide significantly better tracking and comfort over them, and I have really gotten comfortable with using my Corsair Nightsword.

My apologies in advance for my lack of knowledge of vintage hardware. Thank you.

Reply 1 of 5, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For the Windows 98 machine, you can try NUSB. It will help with recognition of many USB devices, including flash drives.

There are USB to PS/2 converters out there, but I find them pretty useless, they never really worked for me.

Reply 2 of 5, by brian105

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My Logitech wireless USB mouse worked without issue in 98FE.

Presario 5284: K6-2+ 550 ACZ @ 600 2v, 256MB PC133, GeForce4 MX 440SE 64MB, MVP3, Maxtor SATA/150 PCI card, 16GB Sandisk U100 SATA SSD
2007 Desktop: Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2v-MX SE, Foxconn 7950GT 512mb, 4GB DDR2 800, Audigy 2 ZS, WinME/XP

Reply 3 of 5, by VertX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
computerguy08 wrote on 2020-04-24, 16:40:

For the Windows 98 machine, you can try NUSB. It will help with recognition of many USB devices, including flash drives.

There are USB to PS/2 converters out there, but I find them pretty useless, they never really worked for me.

Wow, NUSB is a absolute game-changer! Thank you for bringing that to my attention, It worked with my Corsair Nightsword even with the macros I set in iCUE, Steelseries Rival 110, and even my Dad's Logitech G602 wireless mouse!

Now is there any way to get USB mice running under MS-DOS?

Reply 4 of 5, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
VertX wrote on 2020-04-24, 17:42:
computerguy08 wrote on 2020-04-24, 16:40:

Wow, NUSB is a absolute game-changer! Thank you for bringing that to my attention, It worked with my Corsair Nightsword even with the macros I set in iCUE, Steelseries Rival 110, and even my Dad's Logitech G602 wireless mouse!

Now is there any way to get USB mice running under MS-DOS?

with BIOS support, a mouse driver will see a USB mouse as PS/2 mouse . Otherwise you would need a driver with a large conventional memory footprint , AFAICR .

Reply 5 of 5, by VertX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

UPDATE: I ended up finding a newer BIOS for my 98 rig (HP Pavilion 6470Z), Turns out the new BIOS added legacy USB support so I can now use USB devices without drivers! It also ended up making my Matrox G450 work, so now I have DVI/HDMI. Thank you all for the support.