VOGONS

First post, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In another thread I mentioned that I'd purchased an Adlib clone made by Sun Moon Star. There's an eBay seller who has a lot of them at a reasonable price. I finally had a chance to pop it into my 386SX build and can report that it works great. I am listening to the Adlib music from Wolfenstein 3D right now. I also tested using the Adlib disk available on vogonsdrivers, and it works too.

At first I had problems getting these programs to recognize the card, but then realized that the Yamaha chip (clone?) had risen up out of its socket a little bit over the years. I pushed it back down, and everything worked.

It even came with a CD-ROM of Doom shareware with the Sun Moon Star logo on the CD.

IMG_9348.jpg
Filename
IMG_9348.jpg
File size
1.55 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 1 of 6, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
boxpressed wrote on 2020-04-27, 00:27:
In another thread I mentioned that I'd purchased an Adlib clone made by Sun Moon Star. There's an eBay seller who has a lot of t […]
Show full quote

In another thread I mentioned that I'd purchased an Adlib clone made by Sun Moon Star. There's an eBay seller who has a lot of them at a reasonable price. I finally had a chance to pop it into my 386SX build and can report that it works great. I am listening to the Adlib music from Wolfenstein 3D right now. I also tested using the Adlib disk available on vogonsdrivers, and it works too.

At first I had problems getting these programs to recognize the card, but then realized that the Yamaha chip (clone?) had risen up out of its socket a little bit over the years. I pushed it back down, and everything worked.

It even came with a CD-ROM of Doom shareware with the Sun Moon Star logo on the CD.

IMG_9348.jpg

Other than the OPL2 clone, there are 4 unmarked chips on the board, or is that just the lighting ? That 74LS74 (possibly the DAC ), looks quite legit too and about to jump out of its socket as well .

Reply 2 of 6, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2020-04-27, 00:33:

Other than the OPL2 clone, there are 4 unmarked chips on the board, or is that just the lighting ? That 74LS74 (possibly the DAC ), looks quite legit too and about to jump out of its socket as well .

It's the lighting. Here's a close-up. (And you were right about the 74LS74).

IMG_9350.jpg
Filename
IMG_9350.jpg
File size
1.22 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 3 of 6, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
boxpressed wrote on 2020-04-27, 00:40:
darry wrote on 2020-04-27, 00:33:

It's the lighting. Here's a close-up. (And you were right about the 74LS74).

IMG_9350.jpg

Thanks for the second photo .
I remember setting up (for a friend) an Adlib clone that was even sparser (less chips), installing a PCM audio driver for Windows 3.1 (probably used some PWM approximation) and being quite happy about the result . Ah the memories...

Reply 6 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That card is very similar to a PC Symphony Adlib clone card.

I can pretty much guarantee that if you populate the JP1 and JP2 headers that you will have PC Speaker support.

Good to see a well priced Adlib clone for sale. I won't be buying one as I have a few Adlib clone cards already.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK