VOGONS

Hyper386sx 286 Upgrade CPU

Topic actions

First post, by wallaby

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have this Hypertec 386sx-16 upgrade cpu and I finally decided to try it in my IBM 5170. The problem is when I pulled out the 286 cpu (with much, much effort!) the pins on the upgrade board don't match the pins on the socket. I read on this forum that this upgrade could slot right into the 286 socket, but it doesn't appear to be the case. Anyone have any experience with these? It almost seems like I'm missing an intermediate board between the two. Also, my 286 board is 6mhz. I'm assuming since this 386 is 16mhz, that it's probably for a 8mhz 286.

But I'd also think that with a system as popular as the 5170, this upgrade should be compatible somehow?

...anyway, I just looked up Google images of this upgrade board and the images there have the correct pins. Only mine is different. 😒

It must be for another type of 286 socket?

Reply 3 of 21, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That upgrade module appears to be designed for a PLCC chip socket, as the vast majority of 286s were. The 5170 and 5162 used PGA sockets. Unless you make a homebrew adapter, it's not compatible

Reply 4 of 21, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

indeed! but what you can do it buy a 68pin PLCC socket, insert it in the blue motherboard socket and then install the upgrade on top

l5slxijm.png

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 21, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote on 2020-05-14, 21:52:

indeed! but what you can do it buy a 68pin PLCC socket, insert it in the blue motherboard socket and then install the upgrade on top

That's not going to work. While it seems so, the pins are not connected the same way due to the way a PLCC socket has to route one row of pins to two rows in order. You would fry the whole thing.

Reply 7 of 21, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't see why it wouldn't work. That's how I use 386 upgrades on my 286 board. The real issue is that the pins on the PLCC socket are flat not round, so it's not as secure as I'd like. Ideally you should remove the PGA socket and solder the PLCC socket directly to the motherboard.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 8 of 21, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You need an adapter for this. You can not replace a PGA socket with a PLCC socket by just replacing it. Their pin-out does not match. Google for "replace pga with plcc socket" if you don't believe it - there are even companies specialized in making such adapters.

Last edited by derSammler on 2020-05-15, 11:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 21, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

1. link: 13 years old, no pictures, just someone claiming something. Probably didn't even meant PGA, as I don't see how these were ever hard to find.

2. link: someone saying "shoud be the same". No outcome.

Anyway, this PLCC-to-PGA was a huge thing some years ago in the Amiga community. People wanted to use the cheaper PLCC 68882 FPUs on ACA turbo cards and installed PLCC sockets instead of PGA sockets - and frying the cards. This resulted in this adapter to correct the different pin-out:

Motorola-MC68882-PGA-Adapter-40-MHz-PLCC.jpg

I don't see why the 286 should be an exception here. For this to work, Intel would have had to rearrange the pinout for the PLCC version to coincidentally match the PGA pinout when using a PLCC socket, since it doen't just work "by design".

Reply 11 of 21, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ef1hIdpl.png

these are the 286 pinouts - I have no idea about 68882 or how motorolla wired it
I will get a PLCC68 socket in a couple of hours and will report back if this will work or not

edit: the pins round/flat are not such a big issue - I have modified a damaged 286->386sx upgrade and I used a PLCC68 socket : it fits perfect (and actually quite tight) in round pins and never caused any issues in the ~2 years I am using this

CnR0M0Wl.jpg

3dsCNWEl.jpg

this is another mobo with round-pins + plcc68 socket - in both cases though the original 286 was plcc in a socket

gSAQ3KIl.jpg

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 12 of 21, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Allright the results are in:
Putting a PLCC socket in the PGA socket will work just fine assuming you align the sockets correctly as seen by the PIN1 designation in the pinouts.
The lines I have drawn are the connections between I have measured and all checks out as it should be:

rPeMwo5h.png

about 68882:
it is different because there are 4 extra internal pins , a plcc socket would never work for it anyways so that is one of the reasons why the special 68882 adaptor exists IMHO

RbTmynJl.png

Last edited by keropi on 2020-05-15, 17:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 21, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, intel CPUs PGA and PLCC socket pinouts match.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 15 of 21, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
quicknick wrote on 2020-05-15, 18:22:

Thanks keropi, you've spared me some minutes. So it's nothing to "rearrange", the pinouts are already 1:1, just the form factor differs.

exactly, just match "pin1" and you are good to go

Reply 16 of 21, by wallaby

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That was a rollercoaster. 😀 I'll take care to line them up properly when the sockets arrive. I don't know what the jumper means on the upgrade board. I'm guessing it has something to do with the multiplier. Since my 286 is 6mhz, and this is a 386 16mhz upgrade, will it instead end up as a 386 - 12mhz?

Reply 17 of 21, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yeah most likely the upgrade will get the 6mhz system clock and double it since I don't see an onboard crystal on it

Reply 18 of 21, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't count on the clock doubling doing much of anything. Without cache, clock doubling doesn't seem very effective from what I've seen with TI486SXL CPUs. The more important features in this upgrade are improved memory management and 386 protected mode (if you have enough RAM).

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 19 of 21, by wallaby

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Speaking of RAM, I have a AST Rampage board. It boosted conventional memory to 640k but I'm not sure how much expanded memory the board has because I haven't been able to boot to DOS. I think the Rampage board needs some kind of TSR to function.

The hard disk (type 2) won't boot and I have no disks. I tried the XT-IDE card but it still doesn't boot. I think this might be because it's using the earliest BIOS.

So in addition to this upgrade, I haven't been having much luck with anything else either. I've ordered some compatible BIOS roms to burn an alternative BIOS to hopefully sort at least the XT-IDE issue.