VOGONS

First post, by cuttock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, I have checked the game list, and some people seem to have gotten this to work on DosBox, arious versions. i can't.
After i get out of the bathroom and face the big lughead guy, and he leaves, the game freezes. Something to do with the sound. I have tried editing the Dosbox conf. file, to allow or disallow the SB or gravis cards, but to no avail. any ideas. guys?

Reply 2 of 11, by cuttock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi El.
There is no config file for the game. Nor an option or .bat file to setup the sound options. I have tried 4 different instances of the game. All are the same.
There is only a sound.dat file. In jibberish of course!
😁

Reply 3 of 11, by cuttock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried doing this: Before meeting the thug, via the toolbar menu ingame, I turned sound off. The game proceeded nicely. I then turn sound on, and after opening a door, the game hangs again.
Sure would be nice to have sound, since there is a sound.dat file.

Reply 4 of 11, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try making a backup copy and deleting the sound.dat file before running the game. Hopefully it will redetect settings (provided that the game is using autodetection, that is). This is just a shot in the dark (hence the need for making a backup). 😁

Editted by myself:

If sound.dat file has certain size, you shouldn't delete. It will probably be the sound file the game uses. Is there any .cfg file around?

Reply 5 of 11, by cuttock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, you cannot delete any sound.dat so prevelant in old games, because that is where the game draws the music and sound from.
As I mentioned before, there is no config. file for the game.

Reply 7 of 11, by benkid77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have reproduced the same problem with this game. As you wrote, It hangs with the sound on, but works with no sound. I notice that the same problem also happens when run under native windows XP, so I'm not sure its a problem with DOSbox, rather the game is trying to do something strange. If you already own the dos version of the game, and you are running windows then you could possibly legitimatley download the windows 3.1 version from

Editted by eL_PuSHeR: No direct link allowed...

The windows version does not have the problem - I have just tested it under win XP.

Reply 8 of 11, by cuttock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh benekid, i have that vesion working too! 😀
But I just prefer DOS versions of games as much I can.
There are Amiga, Apple IIgs and Atari St versions, but this is the one I wanted most. WD< that's what i figured. I think the only way to get this running, at least for now, is a real DOS box. Preferably a x486.
Thanks much for all your help fellas.

Reply 9 of 11, by benkid77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah cuttock, I understand you preferring the DOS version in this case. It does seem to look better than the windows 3.1 version, particularly in fullscreen mode. I hope a solution can possibly be found, as I assume the DOS version did in fact work under real DOS at one time in the distant past! Despite looking, I couldn't find a patch for the DOS version anywhere.

Reply 10 of 11, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

They use dma channel 0 to do some timing, which is
not supported (and maybe never will, ask harekiet).

The attached file should fix this for dosbox and XP.

wd

Attachments

• Filename
    dejavuii.zip
    File size
    36.97 KiB
    Downloads
    309 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception