VOGONS


First post, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Someone managed to get Minecraft 1.16 (latest version) to work on windows 98 !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyRPUT4fXh4

People have done minecraft on windows 98 before, but they stopped at version 1.7 (from 2013 or 2014 iirc) because later version require java 8 ...
So someone got Java 8 to work on windows 98 !

I am trying to get Java 8 to run in Windows 98, but I haven't been able to figure everything out ...
What I know so far is that you can't install java 8 directly on windows 98, but you can run it from the binaries ... but only if you patch the libraries.

For example "jvm.dll" makes several calls to kernel32.dll that are missing from Windows 98.
Can anyone with experience patching stuff from windows 98 help me ?

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 3, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks ! This helps getting java 8 to at least run (instead of complaining for some stuff not working), but now when I configure Minecraft to use java 8's javaw, it complains about "net.dll"

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 3 of 3, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well I managed to get further by replacing kernel32 function calls that don't exist in windows 98's kernel32 with other function calls that do exist (pure random, if anything really calls these, the app will freak out) but I didn't get the game to run yet. I gave up for now, but maybe someone can do it ?

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative