VOGONS

First post, by edwardo78

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello
I have a board I bought with an Intel i386 processor, and when I tried to turn it on it did not turn on, after checking that the old battery leaked and it melted a small chip that was next to it, I cleaned the place but can not find such a chip, does anyone have a creative solution to turn on the board

Attachments

Reply 1 of 4, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most certainly a capacitor, identical to C615 and C616 above it. Desolder one of them and measure it if you have the means, if not, use 10-100nF.
But by the looks of it, it's one or more corroded traces that are preventing your board from starting.

Reply 2 of 4, by Vaudane

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm, I wouldn't have thought that damage there would have stopped the board starting altogether. That's the section that interfaces with peripherals so it should start to post and then beep like a news station interviewing drunk granny at Christmas.

What I do notice though is there appears to be damage inside the ISA slot, and the pins for the nearby IC also look corroded. While this is fixable, tread carefully. There are a few good sources about restoring traces if you want to go down that route, or bypassing them with thin wires and soldering if you prefer to go that way.

First thing you want to do i'd hazard is get a pencil with an eraser on the end, and use the eraser to try to clean up the traces to see what's corrosion, and what's just discolouration.

I expect the reason it's not booting is you haven't replaced the battery.

Reply 3 of 4, by edwardo78

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
quicknick wrote on 2020-08-27, 11:49:

Most certainly a capacitor, identical to C615 and C616 above it. Desolder one of them and measure it if you have the means, if not, use 10-100nF.
But by the looks of it, it's one or more corroded traces that are preventing your board from starting.

Thanks A Lot, I bought a capacitor 100nf , will trying and update the status.

Vaudane wrote on 2020-08-27, 16:40:
Hmm, I wouldn't have thought that damage there would have stopped the board starting altogether. That's the section that interfa […]
Show full quote

Hmm, I wouldn't have thought that damage there would have stopped the board starting altogether. That's the section that interfaces with peripherals so it should start to post and then beep like a news station interviewing drunk granny at Christmas.

What I do notice though is there appears to be damage inside the ISA slot, and the pins for the nearby IC also look corroded. While this is fixable, tread carefully. There are a few good sources about restoring traces if you want to go down that route, or bypassing them with thin wires and soldering if you prefer to go that way.

First thing you want to do i'd hazard is get a pencil with an eraser on the end, and use the eraser to try to clean up the traces to see what's corrosion, and what's just discolouration.

I expect the reason it's not booting is you haven't replaced the battery.

Hello, can you show me where i need clean isa slot ??

Reply 4 of 4, by Vaudane

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
edwardo78 wrote on 2020-08-27, 17:18:

Hello, can you show me where i need clean isa slot ??

Second photo where you're showing the missing cap, a few of the ISA slot pins are green. Another recommendation in addition to the pencil eraser, buy a >1 litre bottle of IPA and a plastic tray. Put motherboard in plastic tray and fill with IPA until it covers the motherboard including ISA slots then cover with cling film and leave it for a few hours. Should wash away any nasty goo remaining inside of things. Just make sure to write down any numbers printed in ink on the board, and remove any stickers you want to keep. Once it's soaked, get a (new) soft toothbrush and gently scrub the isa slot and surrounding ICs, making sure not to go too hard on the damaged traces. Just make sure it's fully dry before you try to power it back on and follow all the usual common sense "use solvents in vented rooms or outside" advice. Alternatively, soft toothbrush wetted with IPA and careful scrubbing.

On the plus side, because it's an old board, the caps are ceramic and not electrolytic so you don't need to worry about leaking electrolyte from them.