VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by PoulpSquad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello all,

I have an SC-55 connected to an UM-ONE and 2 virtual MIDI devices set up in loopMIDI.

DOSBox "sees" them all and can use them properly, but each time I remove the UM-ONE device, the order changes and I have to reconfigure my batch files to pair each game with its proper MIDI device.

I tried MIDIMapper from CoolSoft, but it is only a partial solution. It adds itself as device 0, and is only able to set a device as default.

Something I've noticed with loopMIDI is that MIDI ports don't get an ID in Windows. A quick look in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\MIDIMap reveals only the UM-ONE device is present.

I am trying to find a solution that would let assign an arbitrary ID to each device and if at all possible, get rid of that piece of garbage "Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth" (yes, I tried removing it from device manager by showing hidden devices, but it comes back after I reboot).

Any tips would be very welcome!

Reply 1 of 2, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

In SVN you have the option of selecting by device name, e.g. midiconfig=loopmidi or midiconfig=microsoft
The match is made for as much of the name as you give, so "loopmidi" finds the first instance of a device that starts with that name.

Reply 2 of 2, by PoulpSquad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Interesting, I didn't know that.

I'll have to check this out, thank you for the tip. I need to see how I can manage 2 MIDI ports I have configured in loopMIDI.

Edit

Works like a charm! I was setting an environment variable with the ID from MIXER /LISTMIDI, like for instance MT32=2, SC55=3 etc. and fed that to midiconfig as parameter in batches for games needing a specific MIDI device.

It worked fine as long as the order of MIDI devices didn't change... specifying the name instead of an ID number nailed it, it works 100% of the time now, regardless of changes.

Thank you very much ripsaw8080 for your help!