VOGONS

First post, by TomVDJ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As the subject says: I'm looking for a shader that will do the same as the Pixel Perfect Patch that was available in older versions of ECE. What is basically did was:
- Take into consideration the max resolution of the monitor.
- Integer scale width and height independantly so an as big as possible area of the screen is used.
- The result being as close, but not necessarily EXACT to a 4:3 resolution.

So in concrete: a 320 x 200 game on a 1920 x 1080 monitor will result in an output of 1280 (= x 4) x 1000 (= x 5), with each pixel represented as a 4 x 5 (monitor) pixel rectangel. The output Aspect ratio will be 5:4 (1.25) and not the EXACT 4:3 (1.33) one, being "only" 0.08 off.

I know there is a "sharp" shader built in into ECE, but this one requires the output to be exactly a 4:3 aspect ration, so this one won't do the trick. Any other shaders out there that does what I described above? Thanks in advance for the info!

Reply 1 of 2, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TomVDJ wrote on 2021-01-17, 09:17:

I know there is a "sharp" shader built in into ECE, but this one requires the output to be exactly a 4:3 aspect ration, so this one won't do the trick.

Just to be clear: No shaders are "built in" into ECE whatsoever.

Did you try the pixel perfect shader you can find here: https://github.com/tyrells/dosbox-svn-shaders ?

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 2 of 2, by TomVDJ

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Yesterplay80 wrote on 2021-01-21, 07:28:

Just to be clear: No shaders are "built in" into ECE whatsoever.

Strange, because in the config file they state:
# glshader: Path to GLSL shader source to use with OpenGL output ("none" to disable).
# Can be either an absolute path, a file in the "glshaders" subdirectory
# of the DOSBox configuration directory, or one of the built-in shaders:
# advinterp2x, advinterp3x, advmame2x, advmame3x, rgb2x, rgb3x, scan2x,
# scan3x, tv2x, tv3x, sharp.
Anyway, doesn't matter really.

Yesterplay80 wrote on 2021-01-21, 07:28:

Did you try the pixel perfect shader you can find here: https://github.com/tyrells/dosbox-svn-shaders ?

Yes, the pixel-perfect shader seems to do what I'm after... as long as you keep "machine=svga_s3", apparantly.

For games where you need to put "machine=vgaonly", it handles the scaling to so well. In concrete I tried using it with Lemmings, and there the menu and level introduction screens are OK, but the gaming screen is not scaling correctly. I assume this has to do with the original screen-size of the game switching in-game: original resolution is 640x350 for the menu and level introduction screen, 320x200 for the game screen. However, if you put "machine=vgaonly", dosbox shows the original resolution to 640x400 for the game screen. (vgaonly seems to "double" the original resolution or something, and the scaler is not handling that too well). So something with vgaonly support is still not OK with this scaler, it seems?