VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by superdonut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, hope this message finds you extra well!

Recently I decided to try running warcraft 2 on thinkpad R31 (Celeron, 128 Mb RAM, 8 of which are are shared with the integrated video chip Intel 830MG). The laptop runs windows98 SE. The drivers are installed and there are no unknown devices left.

Games for windows run without any problems (tried age of empires), but once I start Warcraft - I get this DOS/4GW error:

DOS/4GW Professional error (2001): exception 0Eh (page fault) at 20F:00000013

For carmageddon it may be different exception code, but it also crashes and quits to desktop.

Is there any driver that I missed? Anything I can do with this to setup the things?

Reply 1 of 36, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Exit entirely out of Windows (or start in DOS mode) and try it directly from DOS. Does it do the same thing? DOS/4GW games should run perfectly fine directly from DOS without touching Windows at all - try that, just in case Windows is doing something funky with RAM (the 'page fault' error).

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 2 of 36, by superdonut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've tried booting to DOS and starting war2.exe and I get the exactly same error.

One more thing that I did - I've installed the same Windows98 distribution to a virtual box VM on my another laptop, installed an additional VGA driver for windows and tried the same warcraft 2 - and it runs.

Reply 3 of 36, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
superdonut wrote on 2021-01-25, 16:51:

I've tried booting to DOS and starting war2.exe and I get the exactly same error.

One more thing that I did - I've installed the same Windows98 distribution to a virtual box VM on my another laptop, installed an additional VGA driver for windows and tried the same warcraft 2 - and it runs.

This may be a long shot, but did you try running the game's setup and trying without any sound card configured ?

Another thing to try is a newer version of DOS4GW.EXE . See here : DOS Memory Extenders - by Snover and DosFreak

Reply 5 of 36, by superdonut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sooo..

I've run setup and chose no music and no sound.

If I boot to clean DOS starting war2.exe results in DOS/4GW exception (invalid opcode)
DOS + XMS(HIMEM.SYS) - exception 0Dh general protection fault
DOS + XMS( HIMEM.SYS) + EMS/UMB(Emm386.exe) - exception 0Eh page fault

Running 2_01a war2.exe in DOS results in error 1002: DOS/4GW may not be renamed or bound.

Carmageddon starts just fine under DOS with its own DOS/4GW 1.97.
Maybe it's the memory driver? But again, I used exactly the same distributive on VM and it's totally fine.

Reply 7 of 36, by superdonut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote on 2021-01-25, 17:20:

If all else fails, reseat and/or replace your RAM.

No effect with the module in another slot. TBH memory issues would show up not only with DOS games, but in general with OS and other applications.

Reply 10 of 36, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
superdonut wrote on 2021-01-25, 17:58:
Sooo.. […]
Show full quote

Sooo..

If I boot to clean DOS starting war2.exe results in DOS/4GW exception (invalid opcode)

Running 2_01a war2.exe in DOS results in error 1002: DOS/4GW may not be renamed or bound.

Maybe it's the memory driver? But again, I used exactly the same distributive on VM and it's totally fine.

You need to rename 2_01a.exe back to dos4gw.exe before running it .

Reply 11 of 36, by superdonut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2021-01-25, 18:33:
superdonut wrote on 2021-01-25, 17:58:
Sooo.. […]
Show full quote

Sooo..

You need to rename 2_01a.exe back to dos4gw.exe before running it .

Unfortunately, this didn't help. Running version 2.01a with

dos4gw carma.exe 

crashes and quits instantly, and

dos4gw war2.exe

causes error 1008 can't load executable format.

Reply 12 of 36, by superdonut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tried to run war2.exe under Windows XP - get the same issue.

Oh, BTW, both in Windows 98 and in Windows XP when war2.exe is started from windows right after it crashes there is an area on the screen in the upper left corner that is filled with some random pixels.

Reply 14 of 36, by superdonut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr_st wrote on 2021-01-26, 12:44:

I wonder whether the integrated GPU in this laptop is somehow faulty or not fully DOS-compatible...

The integrated GPU is Intel 830MG, couldn't google anything about DOS issues with this GPU...

Reply 17 of 36, by Solplay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
superdonut wrote on 2021-01-27, 10:48:

The integrated GPU is Intel 830MG, couldn't google anything about DOS issues with this GPU...

The 830MG is a chipset, not a GPU. Your 82830MG memory controller likely has an i754 or an Extreme Graphics 1 core.

I suggest replacing DOS/4GW with DOS/32A, see if that helps with the crashes.

Reply 18 of 36, by superdonut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Solplay wrote on 2021-01-28, 14:11:
superdonut wrote on 2021-01-27, 10:48:

The 830MG is a chipset, not a GPU. Your 82830MG memory controller likely has an i754 or an Extreme Graphics 1 core.

I suggest replacing DOS/4GW with DOS/32A, see if that helps with the crashes.

With DOS/32a there's this error:

DOS/32A run-time (6001): exception (INT 0Eh)
Identity: page fault at <00CF:00000013>
DOS/32A waning (9003): real mode interrupt vector has been modified: INT 43h

Having the same error for both dos/4gw and dos/32a makes me think it's something wrong with the driver:(
I also checked the RAM with several passes of MemTest86+.