VOGONS

First post, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My question is mainly related to DDR2, but what are your experiences with using newer\faster RAM in systems that were designed for older slower RAM?

For example, I have an assortment of low capacity (256 and 512MB) PC2-4200 and even some PC2-3200 DIMMs. I'm never ever going to use these intentionally to "upgrade" a system when I have scads of 1GB PC2-5300 modules on hand, so I'd like to just get rid of them. BUT... if there are somewhat common situations where newer stuff absolutely will not work and PC2-4200 or 3200 is needed, I will probably keep them on hand.

I am only keeping a few 512MB or lower sticks on hand so that I can install 98SE on a DDR2 system if needed (apparently the installer doesn't like more than 512MB, though I've never bothered trying it), but once the system is running it'll get higher capacity (which also means faster) RAM, since it's more common and is better for dual booting newer operating systems.

This question can of course apply to SDRAM (PC66 and 100 replaced with 133?), DDR (200,266 replaced with 333Mhz or 400Mhz?) and DDR3 (can 10600 and 12800 be used for everything?).

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 1 of 6, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2021-02-08, 17:09:
My question is mainly related to DDR2, but what are your experiences with using newer\faster RAM in systems that were designed f […]
Show full quote

My question is mainly related to DDR2, but what are your experiences with using newer\faster RAM in systems that were designed for older slower RAM?

For example, I have an assortment of low capacity (256 and 512MB) PC2-4200 and even some PC2-3200 DIMMs. I'm never ever going to use these intentionally to "upgrade" a system when I have scads of 1GB PC2-5300 modules on hand, so I'd like to just get rid of them. BUT... if there are somewhat common situations where newer stuff absolutely will not work and PC2-4200 or 3200 is needed, I will probably keep them on hand.

I am only keeping a few 512MB or lower sticks on hand so that I can install 98SE on a DDR2 system if needed (apparently the installer doesn't like more than 512MB, though I've never bothered trying it), but once the system is running it'll get higher capacity (which also means faster) RAM, since it's more common and is better for dual booting newer operating systems.

This question can of course apply to SDRAM (PC66 and 100 replaced with 133?), DDR (200,266 replaced with 333Mhz or 400Mhz?) and DDR3 (can 10600 and 12800 be used for everything?).

Higher RAM speed itself is never a problem. RAM that is specified for higher speed always can work at lower speed, what is more even at better latency. SPD usually also tells explicitly how parameters for lower speeds should be set by your mainboard.
E.g. in case of DDR2:
@ 666 MHz 5-5-5-15 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 20-35-3-5-3-3 (RC-RFC-RRD-WR-WTR-RTP)
@ 533 MHz 4-4-4-12 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 16-28-2-4-2-2 (RC-RFC-RRD-WR-WTR-RTP)
@ 400 MHz 3-3-3-9 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 12-21-2-3-2-2 (RC-RFC-RRD-WR-WTR-RTP)

But different RAM geometry (how your module is organized in terms of ranks and banks) and difference between high and low density chips can cause problems in some cases.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 2 of 6, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks, I had always assumed that SPD information should prevent RAM from ever being "too fast" for a system, yet I remember some boards in the early to mid 2000s being picky about memory, seemingly related to speed, but it may have been a rank\bank issue. I hadn't thought about it that way. I don't think it was a density issue, since that bargain basement "AMD only" high density RAM was pretty uncommon outside of DIY builders\upgraders, so I didn't come across it often.

I also thought I remember early PC66\PC100 era systems not cooperating with later memory... is this likely the same issue? Rank\Bank\Density issues rather than speed issues?

While we're on this subject... does anyone know why systems (seems to be generally pre-DDR) will at times see an incorrect amount of memory? For example, a known 128MB stick reading as 32 or 64MB when combined with other sticks. Is this a rank\bank issue again? It always seemed to be connected to using PC133 in a PC100 system, but that never really made sense to me. Differences in rank\bank seems more likely... but why does it happen?

Reply 3 of 6, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2021-02-08, 17:55:

Thanks, I had always assumed that SPD information should prevent RAM from ever being "too fast" for a system, yet I remember some boards in the early to mid 2000s being picky about memory, seemingly related to speed, but it may have been a rank\bank issue. I hadn't thought about it that way. I don't think it was a density issue, since that bargain basement "AMD only" high density RAM was pretty uncommon outside of DIY builders\upgraders, so I didn't come across it often.

I also thought I remember early PC66\PC100 era systems not cooperating with later memory... is this likely the same issue? Rank\Bank\Density issues rather than speed issues?

While we're on this subject... does anyone know why systems (seems to be generally pre-DDR) will at times see an incorrect amount of memory? For example, a known 128MB stick reading as 32 or 64MB when combined with other sticks. Is this a rank\bank issue again? It always seemed to be connected to using PC133 in a PC100 system, but that never really made sense to me. Differences in rank\bank seems more likely... but why does it happen?

High/low density has nothing to do with AMD. Every RAM generation usually has a low and then a high density era as memory capacity per module grows.
Your mentioned problems are most likely all memory geometry and not memory speed related.
Here is a good Q&A from SD-RAM era about 440BX RAM compatibility problems:
https://web.archive.org/web/20180103032407/ht … ram_bx_faq.html

Notice that the term memory 'rank' is somewhat more modern than the article above so you will not find it. What was mostly called side (and sometimes even bank) in the above article is usually referred as rank today.
https://www.transcend-info.com/Support/FAQ-294
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_rank

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 4 of 6, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2021-02-08, 17:55:

You have SPD backwards. RAM doesn't have its own clock, the system clocks it. See SPD like a speed limit: it's guaranteed to run at whatever speeds SPD sets, faster than that and you might crash (but you can frequently get away with it if you don't go insane).

As for the rest of the stuff you mention, a lot of the terms uses were cheap crutches (and usually wholly inadequate descriptions) of nasty underlying stuff.

Terms like "high density" and "low density" are completely relative and can (and indeed were!) both applied to the same DIMM at different times or even at the same time in different places/contexts. You should always poke through this term and ask: "exactly what density is this DIMM?". Early SDRAM could handle max 16Mb chips, after that 64b and 128Mb became common (i440BX...) and the last SDR-SDRAM chipsets could handle 256Mb chips. Particularly 128Mb were called high-density around 1997/1998 but low-density in 1999/2000, with considerable overlap. Similar considerations apply do DDR(x) densities. Note that some chipsets.memory controllers can exceed their nominal specs. i430TX, i440EX and LX officially do max 64Mb chips, but can in fact use 128Mb chips. Sometimes the "AMD only" DIMMs refer to a higher density than supported by then-current Intel memory controllers, but it could be something else (see a bit below)

Next point is the number of ranks. "Single-sided" implies single rank (64b worth of chip width), regardless of whether the chips are physically on one or two sides, "double-sided" implies dual rank (2x 64b worth of chip width), regardless of whether the chips are physically on one or two sides. Of course, there's a lot of confusion around this one, so don't trust any statement about it. Figure out which chips are used, what their width is, and how many are on the DIMM. Memory controllers can handle a max number of banks (ranks being addressed), and on top of that boards can have lower limits in total. Take i430TX - it can handle max 4 banks, so two double-sided DIMMs or four single-sided DIMMs (if you can find a board with 4 DIMM slots...), but some boards add their own limits. I have one that will take double-sided DIMMs in slots 1 and 2. As soon as you put anything in slot 3 though, both slots 2 and 3 are treated as single bank, regardless of how many ranks the DIMMs have.

Another nasty one: JEDEC specs specify that SDRAM DIMMs should use x8 or x16 chips. For some reason (no doubt cost...) some vendors decided to implent DIMMs with 16 16M/32Mx4 chips (giving 64b total width, and so a good example of DIMMs with chips on both sides that were nonetheless single-sided electrically) around 1999/2000. This was out of JEDEC spec and Intel chipsets refused to even boot with it. Via memory controllers were more tolerant and accepted it, so this was advertised as "Via-only" or "AMD-only" (the latter inspired by the fact that Athlon systems invariably had Via chipsets; AMD's much less common 750 chipset also borked with this stuff).

Then there's BIOS support. This is rarely an issue, but aforementioned i430TX board is an example. It will happily accept a 256MB double-sided DIMM with 128Mb chips, but use two and it still only has 256MB usable. Given that that's the max limit of the i430TX according to specs, no big surprise - but I've had other i430TX boards with 512MB and another Vogon recently pushed his to 384MB. The difference must be in BIOS.

Finally there's plain low-level electrical compatibility. This wasn't a major issue in the early SDR-SDRAM days, but later on it became a bigger issue. This was mainly a matter of motherboard design (trace lengths, inductance - that sort of stuff), and some vendors were better than others. An infamous example was Asus' A7N8X-E, which would refuse to run or be utterly unstable with just about any DIMM not explixitly listed on its QVL. Other nForce2 boards were far less choosy, so this really was Asus' fault. In case of doubt, stick to QVLs in genral, but that can be next to impossible with older systems and limited choice in DIMMs. Still, if your DIMM's not on the QVL, this is always a possibility to bear in mind if experiencing memory-related issues with otherwise known-good DIMMs and boards.

Nothing to do with speed. The first generation SDRAM chipsets (Intel i430VX and Via VPX) could only handle 16Mb chips (or fairly unusual 64Mb ones). Most PC66 were of this type, most PC100 (and all PC133) were 128Mb or higher.

That's either density or the ranks/banks thing. Test with a single DIMM. If that's shown as 1/2 or 1/4 of nominal capacity, it's a density issue. If multiple DIMMs that each report full capacity don't add up to their total capacity together, that's because you're feeding the board more ranks than it can handle. You can even get both combined.

Reply 5 of 6, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote on 2021-02-08, 20:44:

You have SPD backwards. RAM doesn't have its own clock, the system clocks it. See SPD like a speed limit: it's guaranteed to run at whatever speeds SPD sets, faster than that and you might crash (but you can frequently get away with it if you don't go insane).

Sorry I guess I didn't worth that clearly. I know it is just a compatibility table that the board checks and that the actual clock comes from the motherboard, I just didn't know if having unexpected speeds available in SPD had an effect.

Now that you've explained the rank\bank issue I see what the problem really was all along. 😀

dionb wrote on 2021-02-08, 20:44:
As for the rest of the stuff you mention, a lot of the terms uses were cheap crutches (and usually wholly inadequate description […]
Show full quote

As for the rest of the stuff you mention, a lot of the terms uses were cheap crutches (and usually wholly inadequate descriptions) of nasty underlying stuff.

Terms like "high density" and "low density" are completely relative and can (and indeed were!) both applied to the same DIMM at different times or even at the same time in different places/contexts. You should always poke through this term and ask: "exactly what density is this DIMM?". Early SDRAM could handle max 16Mb chips, after that 64b and 128Mb became common (i440BX...) and the last SDR-SDRAM chipsets could handle 256Mb chips. Particularly 128Mb were called high-density around 1997/1998 but low-density in 1999/2000, with considerable overlap. Similar considerations apply do DDR(x) densities. Note that some chipsets.memory controllers can exceed their nominal specs. i430TX, i440EX and LX officially do max 64Mb chips, but can in fact use 128Mb chips. Sometimes the "AMD only" DIMMs refer to a higher density than supported by then-current Intel memory controllers, but it could be something else (see a bit below)

Next point is the number of ranks. "Single-sided" implies single rank (64b worth of chip width), regardless of whether the chips are physically on one or two sides, "double-sided" implies dual rank (2x 64b worth of chip width), regardless of whether the chips are physically on one or two sides. Of course, there's a lot of confusion around this one, so don't trust any statement about it. Figure out which chips are used, what their width is, and how many are on the DIMM. Memory controllers can handle a max number of banks (ranks being addressed), and on top of that boards can have lower limits in total. Take i430TX - it can handle max 4 banks, so two double-sided DIMMs or four single-sided DIMMs (if you can find a board with 4 DIMM slots...), but some boards add their own limits. I have one that will take double-sided DIMMs in slots 1 and 2. As soon as you put anything in slot 3 though, both slots 2 and 3 are treated as single bank, regardless of how many ranks the DIMMs have.

Another nasty one: JEDEC specs specify that SDRAM DIMMs should use x8 or x16 chips. For some reason (no doubt cost...) some vendors decided to implent DIMMs with 16 16M/32Mx4 chips (giving 64b total width, and so a good example of DIMMs with chips on both sides that were nonetheless single-sided electrically) around 1999/2000. This was out of JEDEC spec and Intel chipsets refused to even boot with it. Via memory controllers were more tolerant and accepted it, so this was advertised as "Via-only" or "AMD-only" (the latter inspired by the fact that Athlon systems invariably had Via chipsets; AMD's much less common 750 chipset also borked with this stuff).

Then there's BIOS support. This is rarely an issue, but aforementioned i430TX board is an example. It will happily accept a 256MB double-sided DIMM with 128Mb chips, but use two and it still only has 256MB usable. Given that that's the max limit of the i430TX according to specs, no big surprise - but I've had other i430TX boards with 512MB and another Vogon recently pushed his to 384MB. The difference must be in BIOS.

Finally there's plain low-level electrical compatibility. This wasn't a major issue in the early SDR-SDRAM days, but later on it became a bigger issue. This was mainly a matter of motherboard design (trace lengths, inductance - that sort of stuff), and some vendors were better than others. An infamous example was Asus' A7N8X-E, which would refuse to run or be utterly unstable with just about any DIMM not explixitly listed on its QVL. Other nForce2 boards were far less choosy, so this really was Asus' fault. In case of doubt, stick to QVLs in genral, but that can be next to impossible with older systems and limited choice in DIMMs. Still, if your DIMM's not on the QVL, this is always a possibility to bear in mind if experiencing memory-related issues with otherwise known-good DIMMs and boards.

Nothing to do with speed. The first generation SDRAM chipsets (Intel i430VX and Via VPX) could only handle 16Mb chips (or fairly unusual 64Mb ones). Most PC66 were of this type, most PC100 (and all PC133) were 128Mb or higher.

That's either density or the ranks/banks thing. Test with a single DIMM. If that's shown as 1/2 or 1/4 of nominal capacity, it's a density issue. If multiple DIMMs that each report full capacity don't add up to their total capacity together, that's because you're feeding the board more ranks than it can handle. You can even get both combined.

This is a great summary and explanation. Thank you so much! Fills in a lot of the gaps in my understanding of memory compatibility. I'll be bookmarking this and referring back to it as a refresher the next time I run into this issue.

Are you aware of any density issues in DDR2\DDR3 era boards and chipsets? It sounds like there is absolutely no reason to bother using low speed DIMMs\SIMMs when upgrading a system that only takes advantage of slow DDR2 or DDR3. It should use newer\faster memory as long as there isn't a density issue.

Falcosoft wrote on 2021-02-08, 18:39:
High/low density has nothing to do with AMD. Every RAM generation usually has a low and then a high density era as memory capaci […]
Show full quote

High/low density has nothing to do with AMD. Every RAM generation usually has a low and then a high density era as memory capacity per module grows.
Your mentioned problems are most likely all memory geometry and not memory speed related.
Here is a good Q&A from SD-RAM era about 440BX RAM compatibility problems:
https://web.archive.org/web/20180103032407/ht … ram_bx_faq.html

Notice that the term memory 'rank' is somewhat more modern than the article above so you will not find it. What was mostly called side (and sometimes even bank) in the above article is usually referred as rank today.
https://www.transcend-info.com/Support/FAQ-294
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_rank

Thank you! That is very helpful too!

I never really understood why exactly cheap high capacity memory was advertised as AMD-only (and I had a good hunch it had nothing to do with AMD as a company). I have a much better understanding of it after these posts. 😀

Reply 6 of 6, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2021-02-08, 21:34:

[...]

This is a great summary and explanation. Thank you so much! Fills in a lot of the gaps in my understanding of memory compatibility. I'll be bookmarking this and referring back to it as a refresher the next time I run into this issue.

Are you aware of any density issues in DDR2\DDR3 era boards and chipsets? It sounds like there is absolutely no reason to bother using low speed DIMMs\SIMMs when upgrading a system that only takes advantage of slow DDR2 or DDR3. It should use newer\faster memory as long as there isn't a density issue.

Almost certainly there are density limits, but I'm very rusty on that era as it's long enough ago that I've forgotten it, and not old enough to interest me personally in terms of retro stuff.