VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I try to play on Windows 10 point and click adventure Martin Mystère: Operation Dorian Gray from 2006 (known as "Crime Stories: From the Files of Martin Mystere" in North America).
The game uses obsolete Direct3D Retained Mode and was always difficult to run on modern systems. I found this info how to run it on Windows 10: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGY8NAzsGhk&a … l=KATIENERDGIRL
It is for Italian version of the game and patch works with English version too.

But I have still some issues:
1) Speech is often skipping during gameplay (the game plays mp3 files from its directory).
2) The game works only on my 4K TV but not on 16:10 monitor with 1680x1050 default resolution, where it just shows white window on black background.
Update: I solved this by adjusting desktop size settings in NVIDIA control panel.

Could anybody help with it?

Reply 2 of 11, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks, I tried it, but no change. I also tried to disable Win10 audio enhancements and made sure that I have the latest sound driver. I'm not sure if this issue is on my PC only (but I have no sound problem with other games) or if it's the game bug.

Reply 3 of 11, by draft

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just registered because Jiri's post helped me to finally get this game working after days of trial and error. I even got the sound to work properly! So maybe this will help anyone with the same problems. I think it isnt allowed to attach the needed files, so i will just link all the sources where these can be obtained. If this is against the rules too, please tell me. I will remove anything problematic then. I am running Windows 10 64bit.

HowTo:
0. Get the necessary files, see sources below. I would post a link with my collected files, but i think this would be against the rules.
1. Replace the MartinMystère.exe file in the game folder with the fixed one.
2. Set the compatability options in the preferences of the EXE-file. Set it to "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)" and check the box to "execute as administrator".
3. Copy the DLL-files "d3drm.dll", "APmpg4v1.dll" and "MPG4C32.dll" to the folders "C:/Windows/System32" and "C:/Windows/SysWOW64" (the folder SysWOW64 only exists in 64bit systems, so skip that if you run a 32bit OS. If the files are already there you dont need to overwrite).
4. Execute the file "MPEG4 (x32).reg" or "MPEG4 (x64).reg" according to your system type. If you have a 64bit system, choose the one with x64 in the name. This will register the DLL-files in the registry.
5. Play the game.
6. If you have a problem with the speech/dialougue/audio in game, meaning it will cut out after the beginning of longer sentences (audio stops playing), then overwrite the MP3-files located in the game folder under "..Media\Dialoghi\Mp3" with the fixed ones. (I converted these with variable bitrate and it somehow fixed the problem for me. Not sure why it works, i played around with several conversion settings and found a working method by trial and error.)

Sources:
1. I think it doesnt matter what version you will use. Search on archive.org, if you need an image.
Now for fixing the game to make it run + fixing the audio..
2. "APmpg4v1.dll" and "MPG4C32.dll" can be obtained here (key for the mega-folder is "yVuKMpTrk2NjEd9fu5NB5g", subfolder is "MARTINM", download "MMFIX.zip"): https://web.archive.org/web/20210319125810/ht … ne-dorian-gray/
3. For the "d3drm.dll" you can check this thread for info (i used the link in the 10th post, dlldump.com/.. ): http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US … 92-c55fe278808d
4. For fixing the audio you have to convert the MP3s with the settings shown in the attached image and then replace the original ones. Make a backup first, in case it doesnt work. I used AIMP with the included AudioConverter: https://www.aimp.ru/?do=features

Good luck! Big thanks to Jiri!

Attachments

• audiofix_settings.png
    Filename
    audiofix_settings.png
    File size
    91.92 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 11, by LuosmrowLee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
draft wrote on 2022-08-23, 15:00:
I just registered because Jiri's post helped me to finally get this game working after days of trial and error. I even got the s […]
Show full quote

I just registered because Jiri's post helped me to finally get this game working after days of trial and error. I even got the sound to work properly! So maybe this will help anyone with the same problems. I think it isnt allowed to attach the needed files, so i will just link all the sources where these can be obtained. If this is against the rules too, please tell me. I will remove anything problematic then. I am running Windows 10 64bit.

HowTo:
0. Get the necessary files, see sources below. I would post a link with my collected files, but i think this would be against the rules.
1. Replace the MartinMystère.exe file in the game folder with the fixed one.
2. Set the compatability options in the preferences of the EXE-file. Set it to "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)" and check the box to "execute as administrator".
3. Copy the DLL-files "d3drm.dll", "APmpg4v1.dll" and "MPG4C32.dll" to the folders "C:/Windows/System32" and "C:/Windows/SysWOW64" (the folder SysWOW64 only exists in 64bit systems, so skip that if you run a 32bit OS. If the files are already there you dont need to overwrite).
4. Execute the file "MPEG4 (x32).reg" or "MPEG4 (x64).reg" according to your system type. If you have a 64bit system, choose the one with x64 in the name. This will register the DLL-files in the registry.
5. Play the game.
6. If you have a problem with the speech/dialougue/audio in game, meaning it will cut out after the beginning of longer sentences (audio stops playing), then overwrite the MP3-files located in the game folder under "..Media\Dialoghi\Mp3" with the fixed ones. (I converted these with variable bitrate and it somehow fixed the problem for me. Not sure why it works, i played around with several conversion settings and found a working method by trial and error.)

Sources:
1. I think it doesnt matter what version you will use. Search on archive.org, if you need an image.
Now for fixing the game to make it run + fixing the audio..
2. "APmpg4v1.dll" and "MPG4C32.dll" can be obtained here (key for the mega-folder is "yVuKMpTrk2NjEd9fu5NB5g", subfolder is "MARTINM", download "MMFIX.zip"): https://web.archive.org/web/20210319125810/ht … ne-dorian-gray/
3. For the "d3drm.dll" you can check this thread for info (i used the link in the 10th post, dlldump.com/.. ): http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US … 92-c55fe278808d
4. For fixing the audio you have to convert the MP3s with the settings shown in the attached image and then replace the original ones. Make a backup first, in case it doesnt work. I used AIMP with the included AudioConverter: https://www.aimp.ru/?do=features

Good luck! Big thanks to Jiri!

the link to MMFIX.zip is broken

Reply 5 of 11, by draft

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Mirror: https://anonfiles.com/Y3a8H5U9y6/files_zip

I kind of regret that i put all this effort into making the game work. I did not really like it and stopped playing after a short amount of time. Also, it doesnt seem that my info helped anyone so far. I guess there is nobody who wamts to play it. Maybe some people would like to play it for the childhood memories, but nobody came forward to tell so. I had one inreraction with someone on reddit saying he would like to play it again. After i provided the instructions there was no response. After asking if he tried he said he didnt have the time and would try eventually. Never heard of that person again. I really hope the is someone out there that will benefit from this.

Reply 6 of 11, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
draft wrote on 2023-01-29, 12:27:

I kind of regret that i put all this effort into making the game work. I did not really like it and stopped playing after a short amount of time. Also, it doesnt seem that my info helped anyone so far. I guess there is nobody who wamts to play it. Maybe some people would like to play it for the childhood memories, but nobody came forward to tell so. I had one inreraction with someone on reddit saying he would like to play it again. After i provided the instructions there was no response. After asking if he tried he said he didnt have the time and would try eventually. Never heard of that person again. I really hope the is someone out there that will benefit from this.

Dont regret, there will always be someone maybe 5 years in the future looking for the same.

Also, about Direct3D Retained Mode: I am not aware if the game uses the Ramp or the HAL renderer, but if you encounter wrong colors on Windows 10 1809 or later, you shall need to copy paste the d3dim.dll from a windows version before Win10 1809 to the game folder. Ramp renderer is semi removed thus it may cause issues if it's used.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 7 of 11, by LuosmrowLee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
draft wrote on 2023-01-29, 12:27:

man you don't know how much this game means to me and your efforts are not in vein, thank you for the hard work you have put in this because i had to go thru loops to get it working and on a vm it did work but not as it should so your work is needed

Reply 9 of 11, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've finally tried draft's tutorial and can confirm that it solves the problem I had with the sound, so thanks for the helpful info. It was one of the last old point and click adventure games on my list that didn't run properly on a modern computer.
I agree with BEEN_Nath_58 that there will always be someone looking for the solution, so it is good to have it. Plus, finding a way to make an old unsupported game run on modern computers is also a sort of game. 😀

A few more tips to problems I've encountered during testing:
- if the subtitles look distorted, it may help to change the display resolution before starting the game (or change the high DPI settings in the game exe file parameters to scaling performed by system, but Windows always reset the settings when I quit the game). In my case it helped to switch the display to 1024x768 and it's also possible to use some of tools for quick resolution switching available on the net.
- the game works with a controller and custom Steam input configuration for it when it's added as a non-Steam game, but Steam must be run as an administrator

I've also uploaded the necessary files to another mirror:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/kudwy59sgedc3l … _files.zip/file

Reply 11 of 11, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

These mediafire links go extinct of a sudden, a lot of mine did, so I better upload the file directly to Vogons:

Attachments

• Filename
    MM files.zip
    File size
    430.2 KiB
    Downloads
    96 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058