VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Xlelight The DOS-er

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi! Recently found I had a Quake Shareware CD! Since I am a purist boomer, I did not resist to smash the CD into the PC and blow some blocky Fiends and Shamblers! (Nightmare difficulty because yes.) However, I noticed there was a lack of any Music. I couldn't get the CD because imgmount command wasn't working for some reason. Really appreciated if someone helps.

Keep MS-DOS-in!

Reply 4 of 11, by Xlelight The DOS-er

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Hezus wrote on 2021-05-16, 11:38:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the shareware version featured the full sound track..

You were correct. I checked the CD through Windows Media Player and there weren't music at all, just some useless stuff.

Keep MS-DOS-in!

Reply 5 of 11, by Marek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Shareware was supposed to be easy to copy. At the time, most computers didn't have a CD burner, thus CD audio would have defeated the purpose.
Distributing CDs with a single shareware version was also more like a curiosity and are nowadays collector's items. Shareware versions were more commonly distributed as downloads, on magazine CDs/floppy disks, shovelware CDs or just copied to friends.

DOS-PC: DFI k6bv3+, Pentium 200mmx, 64 MB RAM, Terratec Maestro 32 sound card, Roland MT-32 + SC-155, Winner 2000 AVI 2MB, Voodoo 1, Win98SE
Windows PC: GigaByte GA-MA790GPT, Phenom II X4 905e, 12 GB RAM, M-Audio Delta 44, NVidia 1060 6 GB, Win7 pro x64

Reply 6 of 11, by acridAxid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If your disc has artwork on the surface, it probably originally came in a fancy fold-out digipak with the game manual stored under a flap, just like a retail copy did. They look identical to the retail version, except rather than a full size 'big box', it was just the digipak shrinkwrapped with a 'Shareware' sticker on the front, and the unit was sold for almost nothing ($3.99 I paid for mine, I believe).

These discs do contain the audio tracks.

Reply 7 of 11, by Marek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
acridAxid wrote on 2021-05-18, 09:38:

These discs do contain the audio tracks.

That's interesting. I wonder, if the shareware version is supposed to play them, though.
Is there an encrypted full version on the disc by any chance? I've seen such CDs in the 90's which you could install by purchasing the full version key.

DOS-PC: DFI k6bv3+, Pentium 200mmx, 64 MB RAM, Terratec Maestro 32 sound card, Roland MT-32 + SC-155, Winner 2000 AVI 2MB, Voodoo 1, Win98SE
Windows PC: GigaByte GA-MA790GPT, Phenom II X4 905e, 12 GB RAM, M-Audio Delta 44, NVidia 1060 6 GB, Win7 pro x64

Reply 8 of 11, by TheMLGladiator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Marek wrote on 2021-05-19, 21:39:

That's interesting. I wonder, if the shareware version is supposed to play them, though.
Is there an encrypted full version on the disc by any chance? I've seen such CDs in the 90's which you could install by purchasing the full version key.

I think they are talking about this: https://archive.org/details/cdrom-quake-shareware. I haven't downloaded it, but it seems to have the soundtrack without needing any decryption key.

Reply 10 of 11, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

At least some Quake shareware CDs contained an encrypted copy of the game you could purchase an unlock for. They also contained other iD games as well.

Those might be rarer as they were cracked pretty quickly.

Reply 11 of 11, by acridAxid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, it's the same executable and the engine only locks you out of the other episodes based on what data is available in the installed .PAK files. The game also didn't check for the right CD, so many shareware players got a surprise when whatever audio CD they left in the drive started playing when they started the game.

Yes, a Windows application is provided that can unlock the data (requires a CC transaction and a challenge/response code from a phone agent done over a toll-free number).