VOGONS

First post, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So few months ago I answered a Freecycle add of someone giving away several CRT's total number was actually 10!
When I arrived had a good chat to nice old guy who had worked in a CRT industry clearing out his storage unit.
He told me he had already given away a truck load of TV's to a museum but they didn't want the screens.
He was also surprised about the amount of interest the post had got. I already had 2 CRT's, both in storage as don't have the room so was mainly after a small 14" I may be able to squeeze on my current setup.
However I told him, I'll collect any he doesn't manage to give away at the end.

Week or so later he got back in contact saying no one else came! 🙁
So I've no use for this many CRT's so if anyone want's to come collect any you are more then welcome!

Most are in average cosmetic condition with yellowing, scratches and marks. I haven't cleaned any of them up so they may scrub up better after a good clean.
Each have been given a 5 minute test and have a good clear image unless noted.
I'm not going to ship, it's collection only! Located in CM15 (Between Romford and Chelmsford Essex)
I don't mind holding on to them till end of Sept, but priority given to whoever picks up first.
PM if interested

Dell-Small.jpg

Dell 14" VC5EN (Image "shakes" horizontally on screen which is a shame as its a good image)
Dell 15" D1528-LS

DellBig.jpg

Dell 19" P991 (Has a crack though the cover over the tube) TAKEN
Dell 15" M570

Iiyama.jpg

Iiyama Vision Master 17" MF-8617A (Inputs are BNC or HD15, home built HD15 to DB15 aka vga cable included) TAKEN
Iiyama Vision Master 17 Pro 17" MT9017T (BNC and VGA inputs) TAKEN
Apparently Iiyama are desirable for Amiga's as support wider range of modes

LGTime.jpg
Time 75Si-A 17"
LG StudioWorks 77M 17" MB776BM

Hyundai.jpg
Hyundai HL-5848F 15"

CGA.jpg
AST CMC-1424S 14" CGA TAKEN
CGA monitor that came in a different lot, turns on but unable to test as have no CGA hardware.

The CGA, Hyundai and LG came from other posts so are in a bit better condition.

Were 3 dead monitors in the group.
17" generic brand that showed no signs of power and already given away on Facebook Marketplace, apparently to be used as prop in a movie
15" "RM" branded monitor which flickers green but that's about it.
and a 2nd Iiyama Vision Master 17 which is bit of a shame but was the worse of the 2 cosmetically so at least there is that.

Last edited by chinny22 on 2021-07-08, 15:41. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 1 of 15, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cool... I think my college had those Dells back in the day and they were nice and crisp then. Hyundai might live forever, as I have an older, still functional one. The RM would I believe be a "Research Machines" unit, and may be a bit weird because it may have been for their Z80 based range 380Z or 480Z and be RGB 15khz, or it might be for their Nimbus, while x86 wasn't all that standard.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 15, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-06-28, 13:57:

Cool... I think my college had those Dells back in the day and they were nice and crisp then. Hyundai might live forever, as I have an older, still functional one. The RM would I believe be a "Research Machines" unit, and may be a bit weird because it may have been for their Z80 based range 380Z or 480Z and be RGB 15khz, or it might be for their Nimbus, while x86 wasn't all that standard.

Thanks for that, always interesting finding out about these long gone brands
Checking the FCC ID told me it was a rebadged LG 521 but search's like RM CRT didn't bring up much.
Searching against Research Machines now seems like they supplied UK schools.

Here is a pic of it and the other dead Iiyama
Dead.jpg

Reply 4 of 15, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
paradigital wrote on 2021-06-28, 15:32:

Essex is most definitely a jaunt for me, but I’m seriously tempted by the 19” Dell regardless of the cracked cover.

Yeh was 1/2 tempted to keep that for myself been a Trinitron and all. It's ok you just cant put anything with any weight on top anymore.
But then the 2 inputs on either of the Iiyama 's would be useful and I definitely wont ever have the space for 2 large CRT's so I'm leaving it to fate.

Reply 5 of 15, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chinny22 wrote on 2021-06-28, 15:11:
Thanks for that, always interesting finding out about these long gone brands Checking the FCC ID told me it was a rebadged LG 52 […]
Show full quote

Thanks for that, always interesting finding out about these long gone brands
Checking the FCC ID told me it was a rebadged LG 521 but search's like RM CRT didn't bring up much.
Searching against Research Machines now seems like they supplied UK schools.

Here is a pic of it and the other dead Iiyama
Dead.jpg

Yeah, that looks more like DX4 era or later, by then they were shipping straight clones for school market. Not sure they were in the business much longer than that.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 6 of 15, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was about to pounce on that AST monitor as it would match my Bravo but you say it's CGA? It looks identical to the SVGA monitors? I'm only down the A130 away too so I'll probably be back here shortly to decide on one 😀

Otherwise if it's not already taken then I like the look of the Iiyama Vision Master 17" MF-8617A

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/StevesTechShed
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveTechShed

Reply 7 of 15, by dinth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi. Ive been hunting for a good screen for a long while but without any luck. I would be very interested in grabbing one of the Iiyamas or the 19" Dell and could pick one any day which suits you after 2pm (im local)
Unfortunately, i cannot send you a PM

BTW could you post some more pictures of the last monitor (AST)? Back in the day, I used to have a 15" Daewoo branded SVGA screen and the front looked identical to this one.

Reply 8 of 15, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very generous of you to offer these monitors for free - I hope they go to good homes!

To me it looks like that monitor you believe is CGA is actually 9-pin VGA. I can't tell with certainty but its aesthetics look more in line with a VGA monitor and I'm not sure there were many CGA monitors manufactured in the 90s anyway.

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 9 of 15, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MMaximus wrote on 2021-06-29, 14:02:

Very generous of you to offer these monitors for free - I hope they go to good homes!

To me it looks like that monitor you believe is CGA is actually 9-pin VGA. I can't tell with certainty but its aesthetics look more in line with a VGA monitor and I'm not sure there were many CGA monitors manufactured in the 90s anyway.

I could be wrong. I don't know much about it as it came from someone clearing out a decesed estate.
Based on the model number I assumed it was a rebaged Daewoo CMC-1424S but maybe you and Steve are right, I mean I didnt even know 9pin VGA was a thing

it's ful detalis are:
Model: CMC-1424S
P/N: 501716-003
Sub P/N: 234192-001
Manufactured April 96

Reply 11 of 15, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dinth wrote on 2021-06-29, 13:44:

Hi. Ive been hunting for a good screen for a long while but without any luck. I would be very interested in grabbing one of the Iiyamas or the 19" Dell and could pick one any day which suits you after 2pm (im local)
Unfortunately, i cannot send you a PM

BTW could you post some more pictures of the last monitor (AST)? Back in the day, I used to have a 15" Daewoo branded SVGA screen and the front looked identical to this one.

Any other angles your after? Had this on file already so easy enough to post

Attachments

• back.JPG
    Filename
    back.JPG
    File size
    911.08 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 13 of 15, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Joakim wrote on 2021-06-29, 17:18:

That LG looks nice, reminds me of the IBM design. I think I used to have 19" Sony that could do 100 MHz in 1024x768, but it would not fit in my current cave layout..

Yeh the LG seems pretty well made. The guy I got it from said it was a really good screen, again lack of space was the reason he was giving it away.
In recent years I've found screen mounted speakers useful for quick 20 minute game sessions before bed. I don't want to wake the whole house with the proper speakers but headphones drown out baby cry's which then gets me in trouble, damn kids 😜

Reply 14 of 15, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dinth wrote on 2021-06-30, 18:27:

I just wanted to confirm that this giveaway is legit and huge thanks to @chinny22 !

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

And me too - thanks so much @chinny22!!

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/StevesTechShed
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveTechShed

Reply 15 of 15, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote on 2021-07-06, 10:06:

I don't want to wake the whole house with the proper speakers but headphones drown out baby cry's which then gets me in trouble, damn kids 😜

I can relate. I had this stupid idea before I had kids that you could have headphones and game when you tended them.. I even bought a gaming. laptop.. Boy was I wrong..