VOGONS

First post, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings,

I am looking into the latest games that work with a Voodoo 5 as part of my software catalogue install on my Pentium III 700 system. The system requirements for Freelancer, despite it's release date, seem to be low. I can't verify if it uses Hardware T&L. Has anyone played the game with a Voodoo 5?

Thanks!
Scythifuge

Reply 3 of 4, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
akula65 wrote on 2021-07-02, 22:31:

This thread may help:
http://falconfly.vogonswiki.com/cgi-bin/yabb2 … ?num=1113643825

You may have to use the Wayback Machine for the links in the thread.

Thanks! It looks like it is worth giving it a shot.

Reply 4 of 4, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Error 0x7CF wrote on 2021-07-03, 03:39:

Hardware T&L will be emulated in software by DirectX even if your graphics card lacks it.

I did not know that! I have the last supported DX version for Win98 installed. It makes me wonder, if HW T&L is emulated, what other post V5 games may run with the V5...

The project is to build a PC capable of running everything from 1980-2000, though post 2000 games are fine if they will run, because someone could have built a PC like this in 2000 and use it for a few years before upgrading. As long as a game runs with a consistent 30FPS and without graphical glitches, I will run it on this system. After that, the games get installed on an AthlonXP/WinXP/ATI X800 XT system. My main system is used for the rest.