VOGONS

LCD Banding on 386

Topic actions

First post, by Charleston

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Are Tridents known for their banding issues all around? Trying to find more information on if it's fixable. I have a 1mb 8900C and when plugged into the CRT it looks just fine, but when on an LCD I get a massive amount of vertical ghostly white lines running down my screen. These lines only show up when games are running. When running win3.11 I don't get any banding either, but on the CRT it flashes slightly and gives me a headache, so I'll probably have to lower the resolution or color depth?

Will take pictures when I get home if needed. Should I upgrade my card? I have no plans to buy anything new considering the prices (ET4000s are expensive right now especially) but might consider a WD card since they aren't as prohibitively expensive.

Thank you!

Edit: Not 100% sure if it's ghosting but it doesn't look like a gradient, just every other centimeter the screen's contrast seems to go up to the maximum.

Reply 1 of 2, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Charleston wrote on 2021-07-14, 17:08:
Are Tridents known for their banding issues all around? Trying to find more information on if it's fixable. I have a 1mb 8900C a […]
Show full quote

Are Tridents known for their banding issues all around? Trying to find more information on if it's fixable. I have a 1mb 8900C and when plugged into the CRT it looks just fine, but when on an LCD I get a massive amount of vertical ghostly white lines running down my screen. These lines only show up when games are running. When running win3.11 I don't get any banding either, but on the CRT it flashes slightly and gives me a headache, so I'll probably have to lower the resolution or color depth?

Will take pictures when I get home if needed. Should I upgrade my card? I have no plans to buy anything new considering the prices (ET4000s are expensive right now especially) but might consider a WD card since they aren't as prohibitively expensive.

Thank you!

Edit: Not 100% sure if it's ghosting but it doesn't look like a gradient, just every other centimeter the screen's contrast seems to go up to the maximum.

Have a look here : ISA VGA output crap on LCD?

Also, I seem to recall that someone here was experimenting with replacing RAMDACs to address image quality issues with some older VGA cards .
EDIT : Here is that thread Let's improve video output quality of VGA ISA/VLB cards (First success !)

Reply 2 of 2, by Charleston

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2021-07-14, 17:23:

Have a look here : ISA VGA output crap on LCD?

Also, I seem to recall that someone here was experimenting with replacing RAMDACs to address image quality issues with some older VGA cards .
EDIT : Here is that thread Let's improve video output quality of VGA ISA/VLB cards (First success !)

Thank you! Just hopefully I can find something in here that works out, using a CRT is fine but like I said in windows it gives me a headache.

Is it possible to even adjust an LCDs hz? I'm pretty sure it's stuck at 60 so maybe the trident outputs the wrong amount and messes it up.