VOGONS

First post, by squelch41

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

Does anyone know if the MSI 6119 intel 440BX-2 ver 1.1 motherboards can be adapted to work with ~1GHz coppermine based P3s/celerons?
The MSI site says that if there is a sticker with a 'c' on it near the IO chip it is fine out of the box -- this board doesnt have that.
There seem to be some slocket adapters that do voltage conversion but lots seem to only go down to about 1.8v?

Thanks!

V4P895P3 VLB Motherboard AMD 486 133MHz
64mb RAM, CF 4Gb HDD,
Realtek 8019 ethernet + XT-IDE bios ROM, ES1869 soundcard, VLB Cirrus Logic GD5428 1mb VGA

440bx MSI 6119, modified slocket , Tualitin Celeron 1.2Ghz 256mb SD-RAM, CF 4GB HDD, FX5200 gfx

Reply 1 of 4, by zago27

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For a lot of these earlier 440BX boards, the proper answer is "check the VRM controller chip".
Of course, BIOS might need updating or modding to add the required microcode, but the main deal is checking if the voltage regulator is able to properly read the VID pins from the CPU slot and output the correct voltage range. In the case of the MS-6119 Ver 1.1, you need to check this chip in particular (see attached picture), the related datasheet will tell you if it can provide the 1.7-1.8V needed by a 1 GHz Coppermine CPU.
In the case of my specific board, the SC1152CS VRM controller can output in the 3.5-1.8V range and it will shut down the board if an unsupported VID pattern is detected. For more details about the chip's specific VID decoding, check out the official datasheet https://www.digchip.com/datasheets/download_d … number=SC1152CS

If your specimen doesn't meet the right voltage requirements, you have 3 options:
1. With enough electronics and SMD soldering skills, you might be able to replace the chip with a pin-compatible spare supporting Coppermine VIDs
2. Some specific Slotket adapters have an onboard VRM, which bypasses the problematic on-board regulator
3. Enjoy Katmai or Mendocino 😀

Attachments

• 20210815_145131.jpg
    Filename
    20210815_145131.jpg
    File size
    922.11 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    SC1152CS VRM controller on a MS-6119 Ver. 1.1
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0

Your friendly neighborhood hardware database and blog, The Retro Web

Reply 2 of 4, by squelch41

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
zago27 wrote on 2021-08-15, 13:04:
For a lot of these earlier 440BX boards, the proper answer is "check the VRM controller chip". Of course, BIOS might need updati […]
Show full quote

For a lot of these earlier 440BX boards, the proper answer is "check the VRM controller chip".
Of course, BIOS might need updating or modding to add the required microcode, but the main deal is checking if the voltage regulator is able to properly read the VID pins from the CPU slot and output the correct voltage range. In the case of the MS-6119 Ver 1.1, you need to check this chip in particular (see attached picture), the related datasheet will tell you if it can provide the 1.7-1.8V needed by a 1 GHz Coppermine CPU.
In the case of my specific board, the SC1152CS VRM controller can output in the 3.5-1.8V range and it will shut down the board if an unsupported VID pattern is detected. For more details about the chip's specific VID decoding, check out the official datasheet https://www.digchip.com/datasheets/download_d … number=SC1152CS

If your specimen doesn't meet the right voltage requirements, you have 3 options:
1. With enough electronics and SMD soldering skills, you might be able to replace the chip with a pin-compatible spare supporting Coppermine VIDs
2. Some specific Slotket adapters have an onboard VRM, which bypasses the problematic on-board regulator
3. Enjoy Katmai or Mendocino 😀

Thanks, that was very helpful. My VRM is a 1.8v min voltage looking at the data sheet so I got a slocket with voltage jumpers so I could just do a minor overvolt at 1.8v manually.
Had I not known, I'd probably ended up with one without voltage jumpers which wouldn't have worked 😀
Thanks again!

V4P895P3 VLB Motherboard AMD 486 133MHz
64mb RAM, CF 4Gb HDD,
Realtek 8019 ethernet + XT-IDE bios ROM, ES1869 soundcard, VLB Cirrus Logic GD5428 1mb VGA

440bx MSI 6119, modified slocket , Tualitin Celeron 1.2Ghz 256mb SD-RAM, CF 4GB HDD, FX5200 gfx

Reply 4 of 4, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Apollonios wrote on 2021-11-01, 02:55:

can someone tell me if I can use 1ghz + PIII CPUs on my board?

Component modding aside, the collective answer seems to be maybe!...see this post Re: “New” Windows 98 build

Official support from MSI only covers later board revisions with the stated blue sticker on the (Winbond) IO chip, though these boards also have uprated VRMs - in my case in the pic below, both have the SC1153CSW which supports the later VRM 8.4 spec and thus Coppermines

MSI Cu Safe Sticker.jpg
Filename
MSI Cu Safe Sticker.jpg
File size
764.74 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception