VOGONS

Adding 3.3v to pci adapter(Released)

Topic actions

First post, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Re: Adding 3.3v to pci adapter(Released)
^^
This appears to be the final stable version. Currently I have no plans for continuing development. Pi.0 ‘seems’ to be the final version.
Edit 2^
file.php?id=146878&mode=view
file.php?id=146877&mode=view
file.php?id=146876&mode=view

Edit: Thread spoilers^

OP:
————————————————————
Isn’t there such a thing as a pci card that adds 3.3v to the pci slots?

Couldn’t I buy a pci bread board and make one?

If you add it to one slot it should transmit to the rest right?

Mainly going to use it on various socket 7 boards.

Last edited by Sphere478 on 2023-05-09, 03:42. Edited 9 times in total.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 1 of 192, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I do not know.

possibly.

If all the pins are routed to the other slots.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 2 of 192, by vstrakh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Why the need?
3.3v cards that require that voltage normally shouldn't fit into 5v pci slots, there's a notch preventing insertion.
Universal pci cards shouldn't care what's the voltages there.

Reply 4 of 192, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My feeling is that it's likely to be N/C at each slot... so then if you're gonna string jumper wires slot to slot hooking up all the NCs, then you may as well have a regulator supplying them without taking up a slot. For a single card, no solder to board, you might get away with a regulator like those -5V mods, and just tucking three thin wires into the slot at the appropriate pins.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 5 of 192, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Atheatos added a wire to a PCI video card that needed 3.3 which his Asus P5A lacked to allow it to work in that motherboard. https://youtu.be/U8W6A-VKroE?t=418

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 6 of 192, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vstrakh wrote on 2021-12-12, 14:41:

Why the need?
3.3v cards that require that voltage normally shouldn't fit into 5v pci slots, there's a notch preventing insertion.

The notch only indicates signalling voltage. Some later PCI cards apparently require +3.3Vcc present on the slot to work properly even with 5V signalling.

Reply 7 of 192, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vstrakh wrote on 2021-12-12, 14:41:

Why the need?

I have a bunch of dual notch cards that I’m pretty sure aren’t working because of lack of 3.3v

Repo Man11 wrote on 2021-12-12, 16:07:

Atheatos added a wire to a PCI video card that needed 3.3 which his Asus P5A lacked to allow it to work in that motherboard. https://youtu.be/U8W6A-VKroE?t=418

I saw that, it’s what got me thinking

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 8 of 192, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I saw that, it’s what got me thinking

He said in the video that required pins are not connected to anything. So only direct soldering is possible (slot or card).

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 9 of 192, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You could use bodge wires on the back of the board to connect all the +3.3Vcc pins and use a selfmade card with a DC-DC converter to supply +3.3V to the slot.
But you could also put the converter behind the mobo and connect it to the wires directly.
Maybe add a few capacitors for decoupling on the back too.

Reply 10 of 192, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-12-13, 05:52:

You could use bodge wires on the back of the board to connect all the +3.3Vcc pins and use a selfmade card with a DC-DC converter to supply +3.3V to the slot.
But you could also put the converter behind the mobo and connect it to the wires directly.

Not a bad idea.

Has anyone done this? We need a guide and BOM

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 11 of 192, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Full BOM:

Junkbox scrapings.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 12 of 192, by vstrakh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-12-12, 15:26:

My feeling is that it's likely to be N/C at each slot...

I can confirm this. I've probed the pins A21,A27,A53 on all PCI connectors on my 5v-only Socket-7 motherboard.
There are no connectivity whatsoever, not between the slots, not between the 3v3 pins within the same connector.

There are more pins designated for 3v3 power (not just those 3 tested), but I didn't bother checking every single one, it's obvious there's no point.

Reply 13 of 192, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-12-13, 05:52:

With an ATX board you don't even need the DC-DC converter, just hook up +3.3V from the ATX. Just 10 ugly bodge wires on the back.

Reply 14 of 192, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hacky simple version for no 3.3V supply.... get a bridge rectifier, snip off the inputs and put the negative output to 5V and positive output to 3.3V pin. That gives you two diodes in series dropping 1.4V from the 5V line, pretty close if your 5V is running at 4.8, not so great if it's running at 5.5V.. use with caution.

Reply 15 of 192, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The atx to nc pins method seems like a good option.

What wire should I get?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 16 of 192, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Someone have a old mobo layin around they wanna test this on? 🤔

I got to thinking, it’s usually just the lowest pci slot that needs it because that’s where I usually put the video card and it seems most video cards that you can buy these days need the 3.3v so if I just make one 3.3v pci slot that might be enough. As for power, I could just run it to a sata connector or the atx plug if it has one, otherwise a regulator from the AT connector would seem to be in order

I have quite a few half height cards that would be nice to use, shame no one has made a interposer…

That would be a easy no solder option!

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 17 of 192, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I believe a thin gauge solid core jumper wire would hold and make contact when pushed into the PCI slot beside the pin on top through the little hole to the side.

Reply 18 of 192, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I’m speechless…

http://dualsocketworld.blog134.fc2.com/blog-entry-158.html

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 19 of 192, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks like japanese to me. 🤣

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port