VOGONS

First post, by BardBun

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dunno how active the developement of dgVoodoo2 is, but would it be possible to add Super Sampling (SSAA) as Anti-aliasing option into it?

MSAA is mostly nice but on some games it can cause graphical issues, like blocky shadows.
(similar things, amogst pixelated textures, can happen if you force the resolution to be higher with dgVoodoo2)

The SSAA option of my graphics card (RX 580) will only work on DX9 games when forced.
As I use dgVoodoo2 to play with the DX12 option it won't work on it.
(but the DX12 option allows for other things such as Image Sharpening to be used, which is nice)

Reply 1 of 3, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can write any resolution you want in the resolution box (up to 16K), dgVoodoo will downsample it as long as Scaling mode is is set to "Stretched, keep aspect ratio". That is effectively SSAA.

I have not seen a game in dgVoodoo where MSAA works and resolution forcing doesn't. SSAA would likely have the same issues with games as resolution forcing.

I would try to keep both resolution forcing and downscaling factors as exact multiples of the resolution you're forcing from/to and the resolution you're downscaling from/to, but I've had good results even when not bothering with that.

Reply 3 of 3, by v00d00m4n

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You can also set any in game resolution, and set DGV resolution to a scale of 2x 4x etc. This also basically serves as SSAA.
Actually here is a trick i use for many old game - they was designed mostly for resolution of 640x480 and whenever you set higher res in game, it does not scale menues, ui etc, and they are all getting small or completely broken.

So my trick to keep them all the way they was supposed to look is this:

1) set in game resolution to 640x480 or any other res - game was designed for (some are 840x480 and few are 1028x768, but there are weird PS1-PS2 ports designed for odd PAL and NTSC resolutions)

2) set DGV resolution to 4x or more. Set MSAA to 4x or more.

Basically game will think it renders in 640x480, but in fact DGV will render it in 2x or higher resolution but with proper scale of UI.
Thats the only true way to play many games.
Some games with tiled textures may have some gaps between tiles in menues after such upscale, thats something Dege has to fix in future version by toying around with texture coordinates re-calculations.