VOGONS

First post, by Harlock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to figure out what a good choice could be (not the best, but good enough) for a P166 MMX with Windows 95 and MS-DOS.

If I should consider a ct2890 or a ct2940 (with OPL), is there any "downside" for Windows 95/98 based games? I'm interested in both Windows and MS-DOS compatibility.
I'm not considering an AWE32/64 at the moment, just trying to understand which models of SB16 could fit such a build or rather an older one (as 386 or 486).

Thanks for any suggestion!

P.S.
I'm checking mostly PnP options, but would a non-PnP bring any other disadvantage?

Reply 1 of 6, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not really, an SB16 on an original Pentium was pretty standard back then. Some other cards can offer acceleration in Windows to offload some of the processing. But overall you'd be sticking to the early days of 3D Windows gaming.

If you get one with a real OPL3 chip, you'll have a great DOS card, that does fine in Windows. For the most part, the AWE32/64 mostly brings wavetable for better MIDI sound.

Non-PnP cards are going to be older (as if any SB16 isn't 25+ years old already), and require you to set jumpers on the card. With Unisound being out, PnP cards can be dynamically configured and reconfigured without leaving anything loaded into memory.

MIDI bugs in the MPU401 interface would be the main reason to seek out a specific card outside of having a real OPL3. https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Hanging_note_bug

Reply 2 of 6, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SScorpio wrote on 2022-07-30, 13:39:

MIDI bugs in the MPU401 interface would be the main reason to seek out a specific card outside of having a real OPL3. https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Hanging_note_bug

One thing this article omits is how often does the bug happen. Is it rare? Is it common? Does it happen every time when playing particular MIDI passage?
Is it possible to just live with it?

I remember the hanging note bug occasionally happening on AWE64, which is supposedly bug-free according to this article. Running aweutil /s stopped the hanging note.

Reply 3 of 6, by 1541

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Instead of a SB16, you could also take a bug free ISA ESS based soundcard into consideration:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fWOdIuRO5fI

I searched way too long for a working (and affordable) SB16 and ended up with these cards.

💾 Windows 9x resources (drivers, tools, NUSB,...) 💾

Reply 4 of 6, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Azarien wrote on 2022-07-30, 14:08:

One thing this article omits is how often does the bug happen. Is it rare? Is it common? Does it happen every time when playing particular MIDI passage?
Is it possible to just live with it?

I remember the hanging note bug occasionally happening on AWE64, which is supposedly bug-free according to this article. Running aweutil /s stopped the hanging note.

I'm not sure about type 2, but I recall type 1 being very consistent. Playing certain levels to get tracks that trigger and after a while, it will pop up.

It only affects MIDI, if you aren't going to use an external module or wavetable daughterboard. Then you'll never hit it.

Reply 6 of 6, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Harlock wrote on 2022-07-30, 16:22:
Thanks, that clear things up a bit. I had an AWE32 back then, it was a good card. @1541 - I wasn't aware of those altenatives ; […]
Show full quote

Thanks, that clear things up a bit.
I had an AWE32 back then, it was a good card.
@1541 - I wasn't aware of those altenatives 😉

I think I'll definitely look for a PnP card.

There are a lot more alternatives. Creative's SB16 were all buggy in some way or another, some a lot better than others though. If you're trying to replicate a specific build with a specific card, that can add 'charm', but if you just want something nice, compatible and trouble-free, there are better options out there. ESS186x chips are well-liked, but OPTi 929/930 and Aztech AZT2320 and Advance Logic ALS100 (non-plus) are also reliable options with real or 1:1 clone OPL3 as well (ESS uses ESFM, which isn't original OPL3, but is generally the best-regarded of the alternatives, far better than Creative's own CQM).

The MIDI bugs (hanging notes and slowdowns) are only relevant if you intend to run MIDI hardware (waveblaster card or external modules). If not, some of the later models (particularly the ones with AWE64 DSP - take a look at the CT3670) are essentially bug-free, although they don't have an original OPL3 FM-synth. In all cases, you'll be paying a premium for the "Creative" branding. For the kind of money you have to pay for any of the 30+ SB16 cards, you can probably get something better for your requirements and have a nice bit of beer money left over too.