VOGONS

First post, by haker120

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

1. DFI K6XV3+/66 - BIOS with OS causes problem to me, I disabled all internal devices like LPT and both COM ports, OS detects them and install while settings with sound card cause either IRQ issue with COM1 or LPT depending if IRQ5 or 7 for SB16, another issue is HDD related, when generic driver DMA works, when 4in1 VIA driver with 98 yellow explanation mark, with ME VIA driver is completely ignored. Other issue I guess is caused by HDD driver, DOS games stutter a bit. I hoped this PC will replace my ASUS TX-97XE but with such problems I don't think so. Maybe it's 120GB HDD with one partition related issue or sound card issue? Not sure. For someone who could check if BIOS v1231 is good one for this mobo I'll add attachments with backupped one I got with it installed.

2. ASUS TX-97XE - Actually this board, after I found out dead or discharged CMOS battery prevents this mobo to turn on I have only 2 problems, one is impossible to fix (lack of AGP) and second is simpler. I cannot find compatible driver for Nvida Quadro NVS 280 PCI. I mean I installed driver that causes problem with USER32.DLL (which I guess doesn't exist in Win95OSR2 and if someone will verify I'll gladly install Win98SE), after messing with regedit and Windows/System I get rid of constant error and icon in control panel that didn't work and games that use DirectX work but no control pannel means no fun as I cannot even change refresh rate for monitor/TV. Or just let it be and put back Matrox G450?

3. Terminal HP t5700 - again simple issue, I cannot find compatible riser so I could (without case, I don't need impossible to get official expansion case and I don't mind it to be open while working) put compatible PCI sound card.

4. Could anyone verify if I have bad stick or it just doesn't like mobos I put it in? RAM test shows no issues with this stick ValueRAM KVR133X64C3Q/256 3.3V but PCs either don't detect it, when detect Windows turn on and always hang when bigger files transferred onto HDD and these filess almost always are damaged. As I mentioned, I tested with RAM test on few mobos and tests say no problems detected and such behavior.

Attachments

• Filename
    BIOS Backup.7z
    File size
    134.33 KiB
    Downloads
    21 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 11, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On the K6X; I don't have that board, but I do have two MVP3 Super 7 motherboards and they both have similar issues. I use Promise ATA100 cards combined with SATA adapters to use SATA SSDs with Windows 98SE on both and the only way to make that work is to disable the unused IDE port (I use port one for an IDE CDROM) in the CMOS settings, then go in to Device Manager once you installed Windows and drivers and disable it there as well to get rid of the resource conflict. I also disable the serial and parallel ports. The older Via drivers seem to work better in my experience but can be hard to find so I've attached them.

On the TX97 I'd encourage you to try Win98SE. I have an Asus TXP4 that works fine with an NVS280, so your board ought to as well. If everything works with Win98 you can either opt to stay with it, or it will help you diagnose what's going wrong with Windows 95. With Windows 98 the bundled chipset drivers are fine for the TX chipset but I think they're necessary for Windows 95 since it predates the motherboard. Here's a link to the older Intel chipset drivers just in case: https://www.philscomputerlab.com/intel-chipset-drivers.html

Attachments

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 3 of 11, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
haker120 wrote on 2022-08-28, 16:55:

And as I supposed, VIA drivers killed Windows. Interesting.

Please elaborate.

For the K6X if you are unsure about the BIOS, I'd try the one that Jan has listed on his site for your board: http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm

Reply 5 of 11, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I skipped over the part where you disabled devices in CMOS only to have Windows detect and install them anyway. That shouldn't happen, and that makes me think that you may well have the BIOS for another board or revision.

Reply 6 of 11, by haker120

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's fixed already, I installed older BIOS version, now K6XV3+/66 has the newest 04/12/2000-VP3-596B-DD-2A5LED4GC-00 and even VIA drivers loaded but still messing with ATA, now CDVD drive doesn't get letter.

Reply 8 of 11, by haker120

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, I turned off DMA for CDVD and works again however I got another issue, whenever music or sound plays entire screen flickers. I start to hate that mobo, Asus TX had annoying issues but nothing as annoying as this one.

Edit: I have no PCI devices and only Sound Blaster 16 CT2910 but flickering issue happens with ESS1868F too so I guess, mobo has serious issue?

Reply 10 of 11, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
haker120 wrote on 2022-08-28, 10:12:

2. ASUS TX-97XE - Actually this board, after I found out dead or discharged CMOS battery prevents this mobo to turn on I have only 2 problems, one is impossible to fix (lack of AGP) and second is simpler. I cannot find compatible driver for Nvida Quadro NVS 280 PCI. I mean I installed driver that causes problem with USER32.DLL (which I guess doesn't exist in Win95OSR2 and if someone will verify I'll gladly install Win98SE), after messing with regedit and Windows/System I get rid of constant error and icon in control panel that didn't work and games that use DirectX work but no control pannel means no fun as I cannot even change refresh rate for monitor/TV. Or just let it be and put back Matrox G450?

I'll take this one since I have a TX97-XE myself. The fastest processor that you can run on this motherboard is a K6-III+ with which your Quadro is probably wasted, being a card from 2003. Any system you build on this platform will fail to fully take advantage of a Voodoo3/TNT2/Rage128, much less anything GeForce-class. Just a tip. Technically you can use something up to GF3/4 if you can find a PCI version of those cards - they will just be severely bottlenecked by the CPU. The G450 is probably as well, but is a much closer match to this kind of a setup.

For OSR2, you'll also want to install the Unofficial Service Pack 1.05 lite in order to leverage the latest and most polished system, but with nVidia Detonators you're likely to luck out after 30.xx / 40.xx-series anyway. I'm using 20.xx with my GeForce 3 on a faster PIII-based system.

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.