VOGONS

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been going through my collection of old floppy and CD/DVD drives that I've accumulated over the years and throwing out the ones that are dead and can't be repaired. Some of the floppy drives I have won't read disks at all, which makes me concerned about the health of the ones that do.

Are there any useful tools that can automate writing and then validating floppy drives so that I can be sure that what I do keep is functioning as expected?

* Note that most of these drives have been pulled from junk machines over the years and have never been tested before, so finding a lot of scrap in the lot is not surprising.

Reply 2 of 6, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm trying to run CheckIt Pro 1.11, but both CKINFO and CKTEST are locking up at startup when it tries to detect my processor. This system has a 440BX with a Pentium 3. Will it not work on something this new?

20221014_004037_resize_45.jpg
Filename
20221014_004037_resize_45.jpg
File size
83.93 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 3 of 6, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, Checkit Pro can be fussy.
Use Checkit 3.0

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 4 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

+1

CheckIt v4 works, too, if you don't have v3.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 6, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2022-10-14, 08:10:

CheckIt v4 works

No, it doesn't.
I've seen some stuff indentifying itself as "Checkit 4.0", but it was fake - 3.0 with altered version number.
Obviously the last classic Checkit was 3.0, and the next was Checkit Pro 1.0

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 6 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Um, but then it's just v3 and so it is fine, too? 🤷‍♂️

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//