VOGONS

First post, by jkhristian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am attempting to run Ravenloft through DosBox with the D-Fend frontend.
Everything works perfect, perfect sound, perfect speed. But after about 5 minutes in-game it crashes. Has anyone else encountered this? Any advice?
I have had few problems so far with DosBox.

Reply 1 of 14, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember to have played it without crashes but, on the other hand, I replaced DOS4GW with DOS32A (main executables and code.1 and code.2)

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 6 of 14, by jkhristian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok. I thought I had it. There is no seperate Dos4GW file it seems to be embedded in the exe.
So I tried to bind DOS32A to the exe file. It says it was successful but when I start ravenloft it still says DOS4GW. Any advice?

Reply 9 of 14, by jkhristian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It says it uses a standard DOS extender not 4GW so the extender may not be the problem

still Ravenloft tends to to crash out of dosbox about 5 minutes roughly into the game (actual gameplay not intro).

it shuts down dosbox as well so I cant see if there is an error message

and I do have the shut down dosbox option turned off in d-fend

Oh Im playing the cd version if that makes any difference. it is patched.

It works beautifully until it boots me out. Has anybody played this in DosBox recently who could give me any advice?

Reply 13 of 14, by jkhristian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got it working. It seems it does not like Soundblaster 16 I switched it to regular Soundblaster and no more crashes!!! Thanks guys for all of your help.
Although I expect your advice about dos32A had alot to do with it as well! 😀
Thanks!!

Reply 14 of 14, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cool. DOS32A is mainly aimed for adding extra stability under DOSBox, specially when using dynamic core.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)