VOGONS

Palm m100

Topic actions

First post, by NarakuITA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a problem with the stylus of the Palm m100 that I received from ebay. Basically when I synced the Palm with the PC IBM 330 with Windows 95, all the information was synced. However, when turning on the handheld, unfortunately the precision of the stylus is completely off-set. Since it isn't precise, I can't start the "welcome" program to reconfigure the precision of the stylus. How can I do? The PDA is unusable!

I may not synchronize it with the PC, but this handheld device once the battery is empty and needs to be changed, loses all its information inside it, which is why it is necessary to synchronize it with the PC, so as not to lose all the data inside it . I don't know what I can do...

Reply 1 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Um, shouldn't the calibration program start automatically after reset/power loss?
I was an m100 owner about 20 years ago, but I can't remember starting the calibration program by hand. 🤷‍♂️

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 10, by NarakuITA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No, unfortunately it doesn't start and I don't know how to calibrate the handheld.

Reply 3 of 10, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is the stylus genuine or generic?

This does matter and yes should work with good stylus pre-calibration stage if the quality of stylus is good one, which apparently yours is not.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 4 of 10, by NarakuITA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, the stylus is original.

Reply 5 of 10, by Yoghoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got a M105 and if I do a hard reset I always get the calibration screen. Hard reset: simultaneously holding down the power button while also pressing the reset button on the back with a paper clip.

Reply 6 of 10, by NarakuITA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Let me explain the situation step by step. Yes, if I do a full reset the problem doesn’t happen. Maybe I forgot to mention that the problem only occurs when I connect the PDA to the PC and sync the data. After everything is synced, (only the first time) the handheld restarts. After it has restarted, it contains all the data and documents that were on the PC, but the accuracy of the stylus becomes very poor and needs a new calibration. However, I can’t do that because since it’s not calibrated well, I can’t tap on the “welcome” icon, which lets me calibrate the tip again.
Furthermore:
I found out that it’s a language issue. Basically, this problem happens when I set the handheld to Italian, but if I set it to English, the problem is less severe, meaning that I can click “welcome” and calibrate the stylus properly. Unfortunately, I can’t set it to Italian. I wonder if there is a way to change the language of the device without resetting it. I searched in the options but I couldn’t find anything.

Reply 7 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, I have an idea, but it's a bit dangerous.
Maybe the m100 has an older release of PalmOS installed.
I vaguely there were a few smaller upgrades for the m100.

Speaking under correction, though.
I've switched to a Handspring Visor soon after, which had the latest PalmOS at the time.
So my memory isn't correct, maybe.

Edit: Just checked. The m100 got Palm OS 3.5.1, at least. In German, at least.
This apparently was a response by Palm torwards Handspring's Visor.

https://www.klawitter.de/palm/allgemein.html

Edit: It might be that the m100 has a ROM (no Flash).
So merely small updates can be done (pazches installed in RAM).

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 10, by NarakuITA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I confirm that the Palm OS version is 3.5.1. While trying to solve the problem, an idea came to mind. I bought a folding keyboard on ebay, still sealed, for my Palm. Maybe this will solve the problem. Instead of using the stylus to go to “welcome” and recalibrate the nib, I will use the keyboard to launch the calibration application.
s-l1600.jpg

Reply 9 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's quite a possibility, yes. PalmOS 3.5 should already support the concept of "arrow keys".
Some Palm models had a few physical buttons that could be used as "d-pad" by games, for example.

//My video channel//

Reply 10 of 10, by NarakuITA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Let's hope it works. It will take almost a month before it arrives in Italy. I'll let you know then!

EDIT:
I found this software:
https://palmdb.net/app/digifix
I installed it, but at the soft reset instead of starting the calibration it starts "preferences" rather strangely.
Do you know this program? And how to make it work well?