VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by OpenRift

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I'm trying to run Dune II on my Pentium III PC, but I keep getting an error message that says "Insufficient Memory Error! Press any key to exit to DOS." I have 128 megabytes of RAM and I know Dune II is one of those games where you need to mess around with some memory settings to get it working. I know when using DOSBox on my modern PC I had to set the memsize to 4MB and there was this other post of someone trying to get it working, but that was in DOS mode. Is it even possible to get it working while running in Windows 98?

The closest I've gotten is having it running without sound, but I'd like to be able to use my SB16 for this, so does anyone have any pointers as to what to do?

For reference, here's my current mem stats in the DOS prompt:

7D4FSCg.jpeg

Reply 1 of 47, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your conventional memory looks to be on the low side , you probably want it closer to 600kb or more.

Generally the more things you have enabled the more conventional you might need.

Try moving some of that 72kb into high mem and see if that helps free up more conventional.

Reply 2 of 47, by OpenRift

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
AppleSauce wrote on 2024-03-26, 01:35:

Your conventional memory looks to be on the low side , you probably want it closer to 600kb or more.

Generally the more things you have enabled the more conventional you might need.

Try moving some of that 72kb into high mem and see if that helps free up more conventional.

How do I do that, exactly? I'm not very knowledgeable with using memory managers. I have EMM386 set up in config.sys (which I think is default anyway I don't remember), and that's about it.

Reply 3 of 47, by myne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Click this

Attachments

• dasffdasdafsfdas.JPG
    Filename
    dasffdasdafsfdas.JPG
    File size
    281.31 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    pic
    File license
    Public domain

Things I built:
Mechwarrior 2 installer for Windows 10/11 Re: A comprehensive guide to install and play MechWarrior 2 on new versions on Windows.
Dos+Windows 3.11 auto-install iso template (for vmware)

Reply 4 of 47, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
OpenRift wrote on 2024-03-26, 03:04:

How do I do that, exactly? I'm not very knowledgeable with using memory managers. I have EMM386 set up in config.sys (which I think is default anyway I don't remember), and that's about it.

I'm a bit rusty myself on the specifics but this reddit post might help.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dosgaming/comments/c … _dos_and_tried/

Basically to sum up what the post says is you add some extra entries to your config.sys to set it up and then preface the drivers with loadhigh to move them to upper memory.

You can use the command mem /c /p to see what specifically is eating the most memory.

Reply 6 of 47, by OpenRift

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
AppleSauce wrote on 2024-03-26, 04:21:
I'm a bit rusty myself on the specifics but this reddit post might help. […]
Show full quote
OpenRift wrote on 2024-03-26, 03:04:

I'm a bit rusty myself on the specifics but this reddit post might help.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dosgaming/comments/c … _dos_and_tried/

Basically to sum up what the post says is you add some extra entries to your config.sys to set it up and then preface the drivers with loadhigh to move them to upper memory.

You can use the command mem /c /p to see what specifically is eating the most memory.

I managed to get a little further using the advice from the reddit thread. By disabling the Expanded memory via a shortcut to DUNE2.EXE, I was able to go through the title sequence with the music playing, but the digitized sound wasn't playing. Keeping the expanded memory enabled allows me to go through the opening logos with sound, but then I get the same "insufficient memory" error again after that.

When I checked with mem /c /p, MSDOS and EMM386 seem to be using the most RAM, using 17K and 10K respectively.

Reply 7 of 47, by OpenRift

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Garrett W wrote on 2024-03-26, 07:37:

Can you upload a copy of your config.sys and autoexec.bat?

I just changed it to reflect the advice AppleSauce gave.

These are the exact contents of each:

AUTOEXEC.BAT
REM C:\DOS\MOUSE
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 P300 T6
SET CTSYN=C:\WINDOWS
LH C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM

CONFIG.SYS
Devicehigh=C:\Windows\Himem.sys
Rem TShoot: Device=C:\Windows\Emm386.exe noems
Devicehigh=C:\Windows\Emm386.exe auto
DOS=HIGH,UMB

Reply 8 of 47, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

IIRC Windows 9x does not need Emm386 to emulate EMS memory. So you could even remove it from autoexec.bat.
I had to habit to configure my systems to boot into real mode DOS, without EMM386. (EMM386 sets the processor in protected mode already) Then running Dune 2 from within Windows 98, to supply it with EMS.

Dune 2 memory requirements and feature fallback behavior are a mess. It would be nice if OpenDune could be made into a proper Protected mode DOS game. But the sound interrupt system is not present in OpenDune.

These days I don't care much for the original DOS version. Because recent Dune dynasty versions have skirmish + consistent attack damage from every direction + sane controls. All of which are a must IMHO.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 9 of 47, by hilram

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
OpenRift wrote on 2024-03-26, 17:30:
I just changed it to reflect the advice AppleSauce gave. […]
Show full quote

AUTOEXEC.BAT

CONFIG.SYS
DOS=HIGH,UMB

You can not run Himem.Sys or Emm386.exe as "Devicehigh". These are the programs that make high memory available to the system, and must be run in main.

This is a decent enough guide:
https://hermit.cc/it/dos/config.htm

Reply 10 of 47, by OpenRift

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
hilram wrote on 2024-03-26, 20:12:
You can not run Himem.Sys or Emm386.exe as "Devicehigh". These are the programs that make high memory available to the system, […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

AUTOEXEC.BAT

CONFIG.SYS
DOS=HIGH,UMB

You can not run Himem.Sys or Emm386.exe as "Devicehigh". These are the programs that make high memory available to the system, and must be run in main.

Noted. Also I found that running the "auto" parameter with EMM386 disables EMS memory, which some games (i.e. Monster Bash) need in order to have digitized sound, which puts me back at where I started, it seems.

Reply 11 of 47, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
OpenRift wrote on 2024-03-26, 21:42:
You can not run Himem.Sys or Emm386.exe as "Devicehigh". These are the programs that make high memory available to the system, […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

AUTOEXEC.BAT

CONFIG.SYS
DOS=HIGH,UMB

Noted. Also I found that running the "auto" parameter with EMM386 disables EMS memory, which some games (i.e. Monster Bash) need in order to have digitized sound, which puts me back at where I started, it seems.

Could you give us a picture of all the programs that are listed with mem /c /p

Reply 12 of 47, by OpenRift

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
AppleSauce wrote on 2024-03-26, 23:08:
OpenRift wrote on 2024-03-26, 21:42:

Could you give us a picture of all the programs that are listed with mem /c /p

I don't know exactly what vmm32 is, but I guess that could be causing issues?
rd45WWU.jpeg

Reply 13 of 47, by hilram

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Why don't you try this:

SYSTEM.INI
device=c:\windows\himem.sys
device=c:\windows\emm386.exe 2048
dos=high,umb
deviceHigh=c:\windows\command\ansi.sys
files=200
buffers=20

Note: I am not using the <noems> parameter for emm386, precisely because some games require EMS memory. Games that can take advantage of the later standard XMS memory, will have plenty left over even if you dedicate 2 MB to EMS.

For Autoexec.bat, load as many drivers as you can into "LoadHigh".

Reply 14 of 47, by OpenRift

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
hilram wrote on 2024-03-27, 09:05:
Why don't you try this: […]
Show full quote

Why don't you try this:

SYSTEM.INI
dos=high,umb
files=200
buffers=20

Note: I am not using the <noems> parameter for emm386, precisely because some games require EMS memory. Games that can take advantage of the later standard XMS memory, will have plenty left over even if you dedicate 2 MB to EMS.

Don't you mean Config.sys instead of System.ini? Doesn't really seem like the kind of place to put that.

Last edited by OpenRift on 2024-03-27, 21:27. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 15 of 47, by hilram

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
OpenRift wrote on 2024-03-27, 21:12:
Show full quote

Why don't you try this:

SYSTEM.INI
dos=high,umb
files=200
buffers=20

Don't you mean Config.sys instead of System.ini?

Of course. My bad.

Reply 16 of 47, by OpenRift

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
hilram wrote on 2024-03-27, 21:20:
OpenRift wrote on 2024-03-27, 21:12:
Show full quote

Why don't you try this:

SYSTEM.INI
dos=high,umb
files=200
buffers=20

Don't you mean Config.sys instead of System.ini?

Of course. My bad.

Tried it and it didn't really help, unfortunately.

I can load drivers in the autoexec into high with LH right? Because that's what I did.

Reply 17 of 47, by hilram

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
OpenRift wrote on 2024-03-27, 21:27:

I can load drivers in the autoexec into high with LH right? Because that's what I did.

LH is equal to LOADHIGH, so no problem there.

Can you at least show me how much free conventional memory there is now, after the change?
( mem /c | more)

And also, how much total RAM is there in the system?

Reply 18 of 47, by OpenRift

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
hilram wrote on 2024-03-27, 22:02:
LH is equal to LOADHIGH, so no problem there. […]
Show full quote
OpenRift wrote on 2024-03-27, 21:27:

LH is equal to LOADHIGH, so no problem there.

Can you at least show me how much free conventional memory there is now, after the change?
( mem /c | more)

And also, how much total RAM is there in the system?

Here's what I get. I have 128MB total memory.

L3tMbhl.jpeg
ZBpyLHR.jpeg

Also Monster Bash doesn't run at all because it says there isn't enough conventional memory in this configuration.

Reply 19 of 47, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I did some tests.
With normal means I can run and play Dune2, with sound and music, from within Windows 98, with these conditions:
- Set music to FM. Do not set it to Roland General Midi, for it will require even more base memory, and fail at startup.
- As I wrote earlier I do not use EMM386 here. Windows 98 can supply EMS without it anyways.
Then again I suspect you are using a SB-PCI or SB-Live PCI sound card, which requires EMM386 for its pure DOS driver, which then stays resident as well. Which.. sucks.
- The attached mem/c listing was actually insufficient. Successful Dune2 start was after I removed "doskey2" and "ctmouse" from autoexec.bat, and rebooted.

I also had another boot config with UMBPCI, which opens up a lot of possibilities for freeing base memory. But then there is no EMS in Windows 98. Maybe EMS can be enabled by combining UMBPCI with EMM386. But it is not easy to configure, from what I read here: https://www.mdgx.com/umb.htm

Attachments

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul